'09 R6 Gearing for Castrol

McLovin

Hey guys,

I know the season just ended at Stratotech, but I'm starting to think about Castrol already (it's gonna be a long winter!). My bike has 14 front and 48 rear and essentially stock engine, minus exhaust, which worked well for Stratotech (getting up to 5th on the straight). What are you 600 guys thinking for Castrol? Will it be worth changing out my sprockets? I'm thinking it probably isn't worth changing anything until testing out the new track, but wanted to know what others are thinking.

Cheers,
Taylor

yak

I like your approach to preparation.

The final track configuration for the EMRA at Castrol isn't set yet so I don't know if anyone can answer your question. On the West loop that we tested on the track day I found that my Strato gearing was a bit off (geared short on a 600RR, ie 5th on the straight), but rideable. Given that you can change this in a matter of minutes or a bit more I'd try it with where you are at for now.

Regards

Fireman

I ride the same gearing (or within 1 tooth in the rear) at all the tracks we have ridden in the last few years. My guess is that you'll be able to use you strat gearing and decide after a few trackdays at Castrol if there needs to be a change.

Cinder

my 2 cents

yes on try it out before....but 14 for front is i think too small and put alot of compression on your chain,i would put a 15 in front.

McLovin

I like your approach to preparation.

The final track configuration for the EMRA at Castrol isn't set yet so I don't know if anyone can answer your question. On the West loop that we tested on the track day I found that my Strato gearing was a bit off (geared short on a 600RR, ie 5th on the straight), but rideable. Given that you can change this in a matter of minutes or a bit more I'd try it with where you are at for now.

Regards

So we won't be riding the full track for EMRA track days? What about actual races?

McLovin

I ride the same gearing (or within 1 tooth in the rear) at all the tracks we have ridden in the last few years. My guess is that you'll be able to use you strat gearing and decide after a few trackdays at Castrol if there needs to be a change.

Right on, thanks Justin. Here's a dumb question: if changing the rear sprocket for a different track, do you need to change the chain and a new front sprocket as well? I've always heard that you should replace both sprockets and chain all together because the wear won't be the same. Not sure if that's intended for street use more than for the track?

Here's a dumb question: if changing the rear sprocket for a different track, do you need to change the chain and a new front sprocket as well?

That is a street thing.

Depending on how big the adjustment to the rear size you don't have to change the chain. This of course is assuming you have a suitable amount of adjustment left either way at your rear axle. I have gone up 2 in the rear without needing to change the chain. Conversely I have also gone down in the front without worry. Depending on the age and current wear on your chain you should be ok.

DEFBOY35

14/49 seemed to be ok for the west loop

and dom, there is no worries on the r6 at least for running a 14tooth on the front.