vintage class questions...

fonzy

i see one listed , but as per my previous posts i belive there is nobody in it? i d really like to run my kz, would i just get put into another class?

ian

i see one listed , but as per my previous posts i belive there is nobody in it? i d really like to run my kz, would i just get put into another class?

You are correct, there were no entries in the vintage class last year. The class does still exist though, so if you show up you will be able to enter your KZ, unfortunately you'll most likely be the only one in that class so your race would be combined with another class, most likely sportsman.

YZF1000jon

There are some guys from Grand Prairie bringing a couple of bikes down too, so make sure you come out one way or the other!

racer51

Sportsman is THE class in 2010

Rumor has it, that the Sportsman class is where this years hottest riders will be contesting for EMRA club glory and future SBK opportunities. The class is comprised of the worlds leading motorcycles...of 15 years ago...and the most talented riders of the last decade...or two, or three (or thereabout).

Anyone can run in the "regular classes" but it takes...well...a true sportsman to compete in the, uhm...sportsman class.

sand.man

Rumor has it, that the Sportsman class is where this years hottest riders will be contesting for EMRA club glory and future SBK opportunities. The class is comprised of the worlds leading motorcycles...of 15 years ago...and the most talented riders of the last decade...or two, or three (or thereabout).

Anyone can run in the "regular classes" but it takes...well...a true sportsman to compete in the, uhm...sportsman class.

That sounds like where I'll be racing.. lol

YZF1000jon

Sportsman, motard, formula gp, and now Vintage all on the track at the same time. This race is officially, the MOST fun you can have on two wheels with clothes on, and it's getting better!

oldskool

Sportsman, motard, formula gp, and now Vintage all on the track at the same time.

Passing is fun and all but it would be nice to start the Sportsman, gp, vintage, ahead of the motards. They are the slowest machines on the track, I'm not saying the riders aren't fast or capable of decent times, but they make for a stupid mess of pilons at the beginning of the race. Imagine the frustration of starting experts behind a novice grid, then watching one or two of those pros, thread the needle off the start, leaving the rest of them to hesitantly, and curtiously, try to catch up passing moving obsticles while the leaders 'check out'. It happened to me last year, and it was frustrating to say the least. I know Ian's reponse to me asking why they started at the front was because they were faster than most, but their machines are definately limited and when it comes to the start of the race and the straight it sucks. I guess I would like to see the motards batlle amongst themselves and have to pass the slower 'street bikes' than visa versa.

To me it's simple when you look at the times the machines are capable of, why start the pilons at the front?

PS. no disrespect to any of you motarded riders, I'd really like to try it out sometime.:D

Arctic Donkey

I think mixed classes are a fact of life with a club like ours. I'm not sure what the "proper" criteria is for gridding mixed classes but while some bikes are slower off the line I would have thought that overall lap times would also have to be taken into consideration. With that in mind the motards certainly aren't "pylons" as they are posting faster lap times than all but Ian and Dave. Ultimately we are all paying the same fees and deserve the same treatment. That said, I have no problem with the 250's being gridded in the back with an additional lap penalty for all races they compete in :)

Steve

oldskool

With that in mind the motards certainly aren't "pylons" as they are posting faster lap times than all but Ian and Dave.

Steve

What a BS statement. The fastest posted (recorded) motard finish last year for the six rounds was a 1:03.5 by Jason Dunbar he also managed a 1:03.8 as his next best. The rest of that grid is posting in the 1:05's - 1:08's. Trust me when I say I have no problem beating those times on a ragged old R6, not to mention many Novice/intermediate riders last year with less than one season under their belt. It is a fact......motards are pylons. Not because the riders aren't capable of more but because the machines themselves are limited. I was held up numerous times in the infield by these motards which fought tooth and nail to not relinquish the pass by my old heavy litre bike which wasn't even racing against them.
One minute flat times and better are achievable on a decade old sportbike, the same can not be said for the PYLONS.

Arctic Donkey

I have no doubt that 10 year old 600, 750 or 1000 is capable of of faster lap times. When I scrolled through last year's results I couldn't find a sportsman time that was faster than the fastest motards that's all. As far as novices that is a separate race so I'm not sure of the relavance of including them as I thought the thread was talking about vintage/sportsman/Formula GP/motard :confused:

Sometimes I am the one slowing others down and sometimes I'm the one being slowed down, I think that is just a reality of club racing. If we had 20+ bikes for each class this discussion wouldn't ever come up. Of course if that was the case we would all likely be getting significantly less track time, unless you had more than one bike.

Steve

racer51

Not slow

Passing is fun and all but it would be nice to start the Sportsman, gp, vintage, ahead of the motards. They are the slowest machines on the track, I'm not saying the riders aren't fast or capable of decent times, but they make for a stupid mess of pilons at the beginning of the race. Imagine the frustration of starting experts behind a novice grid, then watching one or two of those pros, thread the needle off the start, leaving the rest of them to hesitantly, and curtiously, try to catch up passing moving obsticles while the leaders 'check out'. It happened to me last year, and it was frustrating to say the least. I know Ian's reponse to me asking why they started at the front was because they were faster than most, but their machines are definately limited and when it comes to the start of the race and the straight it sucks. I guess I would like to see the motards batlle amongst themselves and have to pass the slower 'street bikes' than visa versa.

To me it's simple when you look at the times the machines are capable of, why start the pilons at the front?

PS. no disrespect to any of you motarded riders, I'd really like to try it out sometime.:D

You'v'e not seen guys like Chuck Downey or Jason Dunbar blow by your 1000cc V-Twin, with one wheel in the air, leaned over at 40 degrees if you think the Supermotards are "slow". Don't get fooled... If you start behind some of these guys....that's where you'll finish!

They are F A S T !:cool:

Last edited:

oldskool

Sorry Fonzy.

Rick all I can do is laugh at your comment. If I was riding a motard then it might make some sense, otherwise you may aswell be on crack.

Here's the fact's;

Fastest guy on a motard is running 1:03.5

Myself and many, many novice and intermediate riders with nowhere near Super Dave's or Ninja Ian's lap numbers run well below that time. What does that mean? Motards are like pylons for sportbikes.....period.

They should start at the back. Out of the way for the start and the straight, then the amazing Dunbar and downey, can pick off the slower traffic after it is spread out over at least 1 lap.

Motards should be racing with the Aprilla 125's and the SV 650's.

YZF1000jon

No, I like having a full grid. The more the merrier:), but if you don't like racing with them, you don't have to. If you're faster than them, pass them. Seems pretty simple to me. I love the challenge of dealing with so many different lines and braking points offered up by the 2 strokes and motards out at the same time as old iron. All the same bikes taking all the same lines can be interesting, but more often ends up as a parade. 4 different lines from 5 different bikes in one corner, that's the ultimate challenge in my view, and the most fun I have on the track on any given sunday.

oldskool

That was a very good response.

Now that I'm done outcasting myself amongst the community, I will get back to work, and wait for round 1 to go buzz some tards. Enjoy the offseason boys.

oldskool

When I scrolled through last year's results I couldn't find a sportsman time that was faster than the fastest motards that's all.

I think Ian f'ed us all by throwing down a 59 and change lap to tie up the sportsman record for at least a decade.

I don't think there is much out there for class records that isn't a 59. Besides.......hmmmm.....the motard lap record???? LOL