Cheaper Than Air Fence

Fireman

We have been looking into this. It is not a replacement but a addition to the airfence much like haybales.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Digging through the EMRA storage trailers, looks like CSBK guys left us a few bags. We can set one up to collect bottle next round, every little bit helps. That being said, they will have be locked up. I hear the bottles collected during CSBK weekend were returned for refund haha.

Digging through the EMRA storage trailers, looks like CSBK guys left us a few bags. We can set one up to collect bottle next round, every little bit helps. That being said, they will have be locked up. I hear the bottles collected during CSBK weekend were returned for refund haha.

Those were left by the CRSF, Canadian Rider Safety Fund. PLEASE use them. It would be nice if we could find an alternative product that would not get taken for refund. We have had success with the windshield washer jugs,,are they refundable? Canadian Tire will most likely save them for you.
We are working on a supply of bags that will be cheap to purchase. The average bag is around $20. You may also find them used once in the food industry and then thrown out. As well ,farmers use them for seed and fertilizer.
Certainly someone can help us find another item to fill these bags with.

Thanks, John

Jason Henton

Interesting concept, how many bottles does it take to fill a bag? I can see the washer fluid containers being a cheap way to fill them, but as far as refundable bottles, is it actually more economical than straw bales?

Interesting concept, how many bottles does it take to fill a bag? I can see the washer fluid containers being a cheap way to fill them, but as far as refundable bottles, is it actually more economical than straw bales?

Well bales are about $5 a piece out here,, or more. Technically they last a season if bagged but most use them for years,,and the bags rip and well we all know what a hard bale is like to hit. A bale is about 20 inches or so deep. A bag, the ones you have there are 40 deep,40 high and wide I believe. So 40 inches over 20. So at $5 a bale to get two rows high you would need $20 for 4 bales, 8 if you want the same depth @ $40.
The bags do deteriorate. But the insides are not going bad. So you just stuff them in a new bag.
The guys in Nova Scotia have been hitting these things for 3 years. They just replaced some bags this year.
So it's been proven and used. We just need to find a solution for the refundable bottles for you guys.

I consume countless 10L DEF plastic jugs that would work very well too. If this is something we are going to really do I can start saving them at work.

I consume countless 10L DEF plastic jugs that would work very well too. If this is something we are going to really do I can start saving them at work.

I think the $ value and cost is a reason why you have to do it.
At Shannonville we fill about 5 bags a weekend [equals one section of air fence]. Now ,we can use all bottles, but mostly all the bags are filled by people bringing stuff from home.
Air fence is so expensive and demands so much attention. Think about it this way and using 40-48 inch bags. Air fence is about $7000 US for the last price I have. That would be 25 foot section. Compare that to the cost of 6 bags at $20, $120.
If someone wants to look for bags out there, you may get them cheaper then us. we are using a guy in New Brunswick who is keen on helping. But shipping may be the big issue.
The guys in Nova Scotia, Shubie,, can not use water bottles either. So they use milk jugs,windshield washer jugs etc.
I'll see what we can do from this end to help. But once you get started it is seriously hard to keep up. This is something every rider,fan,crew can get involved in.
Good luck.

John

majikx

We should have each racer take a responsibility of buying and filling one (1) bag each in support of the club and themselves and fellow racers.

20 dollars isn't much but an airbag that could potentially save your life is!!!

I will start by saying that ZBM racing will purchase and fill one bag for each of our riders for the 2016 season.

Can the exec help us to organize to get the bags please!!!

Thanks

Mike

ZBM Racing.

yak

Hi Mike

Thanks for the support.

The club was given 20 plus mini-bulk bags recently and they are already at the track. They need to be inspected, cleaned, filled, and evaluated. I believe some people are also saving empty fluid containers. In the spring we will need someone to put one together for evaluation. I am sure that any help on these items would be appreciated.

Regards,

Todd

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
That's great Mike, thanks!

Only one comment is that we have to use fluid containers like washer fluid jugs or other suitable options. Strictly because refundable a get stolen because people take them in for the money at the bottle depot lol.
Just FYI to keep in mind, save the washer fluid jugs not the pop bottles ;)

Goatse

if need be I can get the dealership to put aside washer fluid, and coolant jugs aside.

This would be great. Jon is doing the same at his work and it's going pretty well.

We're actually trying to figure out how we can get sponsors and such with their names on the bags (or bags like them). If a place is going to donate a bunch of bottles, they could very well get their name on the bags (if this ends up being possible/practical).

The more people and places that get involved with this, the easier this will be to get enough together to get bags wherever we really could use them.

majikx

I will start collecting from all my friends and family.. it's alberta, there should be plenty of washer jugs floating around all winter!!

This is awesome. Thank you for digging in! We just received a sample of some bags.
45 inches square and 48 tall. But they installed grommets on all sides. With the grommets you can easily zip tie any bags together and snip them apart if they have to be moved. Also easier to add banners.
I'll get a price for the bags with grommets and then look at shipping.

What we did with Canadian Tires and such was take a bag to the store. They throw the jugs in them and then we just picked them up. Figure the cost of throwing out a bag filled with windshield washer jugs ,it's not hard to get them to buy in.

I'll work on my end and see what we can do to help you get this rolling.

John

majikx

Thanks so much John, all of us racers really appreciate this. Once you find out the costs, just let me know and I will get the gears in motion out here so we can start getting these out and filled. Any extra protection we can have is a no brainer.

blam

Administrator
This would be great. Jon is doing the same at his work and it's going pretty well.

We're actually trying to figure out how we can get sponsors and such with their names on the bags (or bags like them). If a place is going to donate a bunch of bottles, they could very well get their name on the bags (if this ends up being possible/practical).

The more people and places that get involved with this, the easier this will be to get enough together to get bags wherever we really could use them.

I bet a lot of shops will be more than happy to slap their name on a bag and fill it with bottles - heck, that is super cheap advertising.

I'm sure I could get my company to fill a couple as well. I'm pretty sure we go through a shit load for our haulers and trucks.

they (the sponsoring shop) would likely just print a banner to hang on the bags.