Form and corner speed

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
Hey everyone. I`m new to the racing thing and I am trying my best to improve, but I`m feeling like I`ve stagnated and not really making progress and improvements.
I ride OK, but I know I`m a bit stiff and tentative on the bike, and my corner speed is not great.
I think mostly my problem is that I am still not as comfortable as I should feel.
I don`t really have my braking and turn in points sorted out, so that`s one problem.
I s`pose I just need to concentrate on form, hitting and using braking, turn in points all the time.

Suggestions?

Cdw46

Track time. As much of it as possible. U could also try doing a race school. Otp has one during hardnox track days

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
I`ve done a few schools. But I tend to forget everything when I get out there.... LOL

Track time. As much of it as possible. U could also try doing a race school. Otp has one during hardnox track days

DEFBOY35

Nailed it. Seat time and then more seat time!!! Instruction always helps as well.
If you are doing the Hardnox day on Sunday come find me and I'll try to spin a few laps with you.

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
I am doing the trackday. I am the red ZX10 number 10. I will look for you....

Nailed it. Seat time and then more seat time!!! Instruction always helps as well.
If you are doing the Hardnox day on Sunday come find me and I'll try to spin a few laps with you.

blam

Administrator
try to find something to work on every session instead of just turning laps and hoping to get faster. this is the advice the guys always gives me and it helps me a lot. this is actually a lot harder to execute than it sounds but if you stick to that it will help.

not that im any faster than you (pretty sure we are running similar lap times +/-2 seconds - but i've been shedding .5-1 second every session that i go out and work on something new

IE: race line, braking, form, etc.

mount a GoPro on your bike, if you have one, and review the footage. every time i see photos of myself after a track day i think DEAR GOD YOU NEED TO WORK ON THAT. video can quickly highlight which corners you may be weaker on and then you can target those specific corners.

AleksV

I'ts been said already, but more track time. best thing I ever learned from OTP was to be smooth, more smooth, and then concentrate a little more on being smooth. it got me faster in no time. consistency is key, and baby steps

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
Thanks for that.

I have a tendency to stop thinking when I`m out there. I`m going to try to be methodical, besides everything else you have suggested....

DEFBOY35

Thanks for that.

I have a tendency to stop thinking when I`m out there. I`m going to try to be methodical, besides everything else you have suggested....

The quite common. Helmet on no more oxygen scenario!! Lol.
One thing that really helps with doing the otp class as opposed to doing a straight up track day is just knowing you are doing a class naturally puts most people into the "learn" mode and makes you think more about what you are doing.

Also. If you find that you are constantly making mistakes and can not concentrate on what you need to be concentrating on, it is time to slowdown to get faster. By slowing down , it enables you to Be able to concentrate on your lines etc. once you do that and the lines become an after thought almost. The you begin to concentrate more on your body position and get that to become muscle memory. Once that becomes "natural" that's when you start to worry about later braking and harder exits etc. the speed will come. But as Aleks said, one of Justin's favorite sayings is there is not enough O's in smooooooooth!!

the_fornicator

Thanks for that.

Looks like you answered your question right there.

Take three things with you when you go out next session -keep it simple.

Every turn think about your brake points, turn in points, apex, and exit. Every turn, every lap.

Some people just have nerves they have to work through because they're so excited on the track that they forget everything. Just breath and concentrate on those points.

Do NOT concentrate on trying to go fast. That will come with practice. Especially do not care about how "slow" you think you're going or if people pass you. There are no trophies for a track day.

411ninja

The last thing you want to do is go out there and think I want to be fast. It is like golf if you think about nailing the ball it goes nowhere! When you are smooth it goes. When I get frustrated I always go back to the very basics and just a few things at once, don't overload your brain. Breath and look for your points - entry, apex, exit. Smooth.

Fireman

The last thing you want to do is go out there and think I want to be fast. It is like golf if you think about nailing the ball it goes nowhere! When you are smooth it goes. When I get frustrated I always go back to the very basics and just a few things at once, don't overload your brain. Breath and look for your points - entry, apex, exit. Smooth.

I like your style