2020 Rule Change Discussion

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
Limit teams to 1 exec/past president? Being that their fees are covered, it’s A little easier for a team stacked with 3 exec to do their 6 Races a day.

It helps the race budget for sure, but I could have a second summer job that paid more than being on exec. TBH the only thing that makes 6 races a day easier is a lot of time training for it. The financial difference in a weekend 3 vs 6 races is $90, just saying. If you showed up to race it is basically the same price.

Edit: I am not opposed to reformatting the Team championship, but lets not forget that the first 2 years were won by a team with 0 exec on it (ZBM racing).

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

It helps the race budget for sure, but I could have a second summer job that paid more than being on exec. TBH the only thing that makes 6 races a day easier is a lot of time training for it. The financial difference in a weekend 3 vs 6 races is $90, just saying. If you showed up to race it is basically the same price.

Edit: I am not opposed to reformatting the Team championship, but lets not forget that the first 2 years were won by a team with 0 exec on it (ZBM racing).
Definitely was not to discount the effort that is demanded of being on the exec. And what that’s worth. That is not the debate. Believe me. I know. 90$ a weekend is 540$/yr which does add up though.
And I do agree, being able to finish 6 races in a day, and even more, be competitive in those 6 races has everything to do with being in shape.
Just throwing ideas out there for debate as that is what this thread is all about

blam

Administrator
eric is indeed correct. when I was on the exec i did not run 6 races because I am not fit to. my fitness level is more suited to 1 warmup lap per day.

also, the cost difference between 3 and 6 races is not $90. it is $90 plus gas and tires. when the exec have their fees covered it makes it a bit more manageable but eric also makes a fair point. 6 race weekends is not much money considering just about anyone can go get a summer job and make that kind of money for a lot less effort than being on the exec.

DEFBOY35

Exactly why 90$ is more than it sounds like. Lol.

You know how much mr.noodle that is during the season?!!!

Last edited:

Logan

Interesting suggestion on the team championship Allan. That would shake things up. I like the aspect of it bringing the club closer together. We would all make some new friends with this format. From a new club member's perspective (2019 was my 2nd year), the team championship didn't seem accessible to me. It felt like something the old friends at the club did and I had no chance to field a competitive team.

I'd love to see something like this too! Seems like a great way to better get to know our racing brothers and sisters!

gixxer60_0

This is not a rule change but I was just going thru my contacts for invitations to the EMRA air fence fundraiser and I was thinking it would be nice to have a membership directory. Club could do email blasts to the members and if you wanted to get in touch with some members you could. Just a thought.

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
If anyone has any other changes they want discussed at the AGM, get em up here so I can have a list ready for the meeting. This is to try and keep the meeting as orderly as possible so we are not talking until midnight.....

rparsloe

Re race fees: If the club is standing well financially and also looking to increase participation within certain classes, would it be possible to explore a single rate entry fee for each race weekend. There is a growing number of the membership who travel longer distances incurring higher expense to gather, compete and enjoy the camaraderie that is present at the track. If we could set a standard fee such as what Utah's club does - 'one rate for any or all races', it could prove beneficial for members and potentially increase turn out on the grid(s). It has been mentioned some riders are accustomed to riding a couple races per round whereas some others would like to increase their options and experience other races. It has been pointed out that increased track time = tire consumption, fuel, maintenance etc. If necessary, hike the base entry fee a slight modest amount and encourage more participation on the grids.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Next you’ll be looking for a seniors discount. Lol

The issue I see for this is that some people will only do 2 races a day no matter what and their fees will go up. The other issue is that some people will sign up for 8 races in a day if it’s free and still only run 4, leaving multiple empty grid spaces.

Re race fees: If the club is standing well financially and also looking to increase participation within certain classes, would it be possible to explore a single rate entry fee for each race weekend. There is a growing number of the membership who travel longer distances incurring higher expense to gather, compete and enjoy the camaraderie that is present at the track. If we could set a standard fee such as what Utah's club does - 'one rate for any or all races', it could prove beneficial for members and potentially increase turn out on the grid(s). It has been mentioned some riders are accustomed to riding a couple races per round whereas some others would like to increase their options and experience other races. It has been pointed out that increased track time = tire consumption, fuel, maintenance etc. If necessary, hike the base entry fee a slight modest amount and encourage more participation on the grids.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
The issue I see for this is that some people will only do 2 races a day no matter what and their fees will go up. The other issue is that some people will sign up for 8 races in a day if it’s free and still only run 4, leaving multiple empty grid spaces.

This is a big problem with racing in Utah, so many grid spaces are left open because guys will register for everything and then if they get tired or just lose motivation they will skip a race. It makes for a weak starting grid and problems for registration/tower. Plus we only have 46 grid spaces so that would be used up pretty quick if it was a flat fee regardless of number of entries.

rparsloe

Thank you, was unaware of the associated problems, sounds like a larger hassle for sure.
lol - seniors discount

M87

This is not a BIG PROBLEM in Utah. Although I didn't race this year I have probably been there more than most of you and I have never heard a complaint. Ever.

DEFBOY35

This is not a BIG PROBLEM in Utah. Although I didn't race this year I have probably been there more than most of you and I have never heard a complaint. Ever.
I have experienced it on almost every trip down there or in chuckwalla as well. ( slightly different, you pay for each race like here, but they credit your account if you don’t start)
And it sucks when you pull up to your grid spot and realize that an entire row or more doesn’t grid up between you and the guys in front etc.

blam

Administrator
This is not a rule change but I was just going thru my contacts for invitations to the EMRA air fence fundraiser and I was thinking it would be nice to have a membership directory. Club could do email blasts to the members and if you wanted to get in touch with some members you could. Just a thought.
the executive have access to all member emails and can do group email blasts. we can also do SMS, but not all members put their cell phone numbers in MSR(most dont). I cant speak for everyone but i'd rather not have my email out in the public and easy to access.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
the executive have access to all member emails and can do group email blasts. we can also do SMS, but not all members put their cell phone numbers in MSR(most dont). I cant speak for everyone but i'd rather not have my email out in the public and easy to access.

This^^^
What if someone sold all the email addresses to soviet hackers?

M87

Shane, I understand your point but I don't feel it's a "big problem". I'm sure some people don't like it, but honestly, I never heard anyone down there complain. Sometimes the grid can be a little lonely at the start but I always seemed to find someone to race with, either I catch them or they catch me. Usually the later.
What I did like about it was after spending a lot of time and money getting there I didn't feel I had to do any particular race. If the track was wet but drying and I didn't want to run rains I just waited for the next race. If I was a little tired, I'm always tired, I could skip a race. And on those glorious days when I had a little pace I could ride until I dropped. I felt it gave me options.
At any rate, the EMRA gets a lot more riders than the UtahSBA does so it might be more of a problem here but I don't think people should rule it out because of you two cranky old F$%^s.
Oh wait! That's me.
BTW if you started a plus 60 class it might be fun. I have children that are old enough to run Senior Open.

gixxer60_0

I get the privacy thing. So why doesn’t the club use this info to pass info on to the membership. Some people didn’t even know about the emra airfence fund raiser this past weekend. This would get the info to all the members for special events and other important events such as AGM.

DEFBOY35

I get the privacy thing. So why doesn’t the club use this info to pass info on to the membership. Some people didn’t even know about the emra airfence fund raiser this past weekend. This would get the info to all the members for special events and other important events such as AGM.
It would be a good way to get the info out there for sure. A lot of people don’t frequent social media etc.
utahsba does it quite well.
But that’s really a discussion for another thread.

DEFBOY35

At any rate, the EMRA gets a lot more riders than the UtahSBA does so it might be more of a problem here.

This is one of the main issues as far as the empty grid spots. More riders on a much smaller track. The grids are already pretty much into corner 4 and if it can be avoided to have people all the way back there with 20 open spots we would be better off.

Dangerboy

Quick question in regards to the rulebook as it is written for 2019: What are the displacement limits per class for Two-Stroke engines? A proposed change for the 2020 rulebook might be to add clarity on this.