My winter project...

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
So after going to Miller and watching Tim Johnson crash, then just hop in the trailer and grab a fresh set of plastics, slap them on the bike, bend a few levers back, and good as new, I was so jealous. Not of the crashing part but the spare set of fairings. Every time I crash my bike has to look like crap for a while, it makes me so sad. I started to think Tim was really onto something. So I went out and picked up these sweet taxi cab yellow fairings from a dude in Calgary, all for the low low price of $150, he even threw in some mint woodcraft frame sliders and quick release fasteners.

2011-11-29_20-14-23_667.jpg

After a bit of brain storming I'm going to do another sticker wrap with a ton of help from my good pal Junior at Glass Assassin. This time things are going to be brighter and crazier, more carbon fiber and more sparkle. So far I'm going with a mix of this....

2011-11-29_20-14-43_919.jpg

and this...

aldo-hafen-star-print-pump-profile.jpg

and this...

mclaren_mp4-23_1.jpg

and this.

cbr600rr011280fedezk4.jpg

When it's all said and done should look pretty awesome. In case you are wondering about the high heel, it was added to the design after a talk with Justin about a recent shoe shopping trip I made. I went to find some shoes to go with a pair of skinny jeans I bought for the Maroon 5 concert, when I saw those high heels. Justin agrees, my skinny jeans are pretty sweet and the star design from the high heels would look pretty awesome on a bike.

Here's a pic of my newish front fender. I told Junior to just do whatever after I smashed the first one he did for me during round 6, he came up with this, I think it's awesome...

298674_2373971304505_1107220573_32881633_1780928855_n.jpg

309082_2373977864669_1107220573_32881636_1111050666_n.jpg

YZF1000jon

They are nice shoes, but I don't think they'll pass tech.

On the other hand your But-tocks will probably drive the girls wild when you wear them.

sv-racing-parts

Winter Project

:) I am looking forward to seeing it finished and on your bike, No doubt it will be awesome,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
So I've been pretty lazy lately, but I managed to get most of the sanding and priming done, still lots of sticker glue on the fairings in spots. I'm going to spray them with some chemicals and pressure wash it off. I plan on wrapping the frame like on this zx10.

2011-12-19_19-49-05_156.jpg

2011-12-19_19-49-23_892.jpg

Here's a pic of a MX helmet getting wrapped, I kind of like it, I need a new helmet and can't find anything I like so far, I might do something like this.

2011-12-19_19-55-31_797.jpg

sand.man

Would tech pass a wrapped helmet? It could be smashfucked under the wrap and just covered up

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Would tech pass a wrapped helmet? It could be smashfucked under the wrap and just covered up

I like my head so putting it back into a smashed helmet would never happen. I dunno if someone were to go to all that time, effort and money, why not just buy a new helmet? Not like you can't pick up an ok HJC or KBC or ICON for cheap. Here is what I found in the rule book...

Helmets must be certified by the manufacturer and have a sticker affixed stating it meets one of the following
accepted standards:
North America: Snell M2005 or M2010, Europe: ECE 22-04 and ECE 22-05 (P or J), Great Britain: BS 6658 Grade A
(road racing) and all Grade B, Japan: JIS T 8133:2000​
•​
All helmets must be undamaged, full coverage, or full facial units with immovable chin pieces.

•​
A non-damaged visor must be fitted and secured in a down position on the helmet during any practice or race
session.

Tech. Inspection may disqualify helmets damaged during crash

YZF1000jon

Careful with washing off glue removing chemicals with just a pressure washer. Goo gone is a citrus oil and the oil residue will stay on the bodywork unless soapy water and scrubbing is used. The oil will keep the primer from bonding well. But goo gone works well for removing the glue so...

DEFBOY35

I like my head so putting it back into a smashed helmet would never happen. I dunno if someone were to go to all that time, effort and money, why not just buy a new helmet? Not like you can't pick up an ok HJC or KBC or ICON for cheap. Here is what I found in the rule book...

Helmets must be certified by the manufacturer and have a sticker affixed stating it meets one of the following
accepted standards:
North America: Snell M2005 or M2010, Europe: ECE 22-04 and ECE 22-05 (P or J), Great Britain: BS 6658 Grade A
(road racing) and all Grade B, Japan: JIS T 8133:2000​
•​
All helmets must be undamaged, full coverage, or full facial units with immovable chin pieces.

•​
A non-damaged visor must be fitted and secured in a down position on the helmet during any practice or race
session.

Tech. Inspection may disqualify helmets damaged during crash

sorry for the thread jack, but how about custom painted helmets?

back on topic, your bike is going to look sick Jon!

YZF1000jon

Custom painted helmets are a tough area, I know my custom decals are scrutinized thoroughly at the beginnig of each season. Any sign that the paint job or decal is covering damage can and will result in it being rejected, so be very careful.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Careful with washing off glue removing chemicals with just a pressure washer. Goo gone is a citrus oil and the oil residue will stay on the bodywork unless soapy water and scrubbing is used. The oil will keep the primer from bonding well. But goo gone works well for removing the glue so...

I'm not sure what the stuff is, some kind of auto body stuff you probably shouldn't inhale or get on your skin. My last set of fairings I bought came from California covered in baked on duct tape glue, it was bad, I sprayed this stuff on, let it sit for a bit then washed it off. I'll try and figure out what it is. I'm not sure because it came in a spray bottle someone drew a cartoon picture of boobs on.

Slim

hahaha that sounds like the same stuff we use. we have no idea what it is, and no one write the name on the bottle. but damn, does it work!

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
OK, so the primer I used didn't like the stickers sticking to it, so I sprayed everything in white, seems to be working better now, here's some pics...

upper1.jpg

upper.jpg

I'm going to tweak the number plate a bit, but I'm pretty in love with the way the nose turned out with the black and red. I think the mclaren/konica minolta blend is turning out. It's sooooo sparkly too!

I added some other shiny stuff, there's a nice akro slip-on but it didn't make it into the pics, sounds mean though. Thanks to everyone that's been hooking me up with the good deals.

2012-01-09_17-33-01_806.jpg

2012-01-10_15-05-25_596.jpg