Safety Wire Question

DMesher

Can someone tell me if the safety wire tab kit from Progressive Suspension is acceptable as a safety wiring approach? I know the approach will stop nuts/bolts from vibrating loose, but is this approach rules compliant? (Photo attached)

Thanks

Darel

Attachments

• SafetyWire.jpg
    SafetyWire.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 46
I've never seen this type of kit in my life, but as long as it does a sufficient job of stopping bolts from coming out etc... I would pass it in tech.

Ryno

I have used the device in the pic plus the wire and it does a very primitive job, there is a set of plier type things out there that work ten times better

jetfixer15

That kit has been around for years. The tool was called the 'rapid winder' or something close if I recall. Safety wire pliers are easier to use and quicker. The tab plates will only work on standard head bolts as you have to fold the tabs up onto the flat sides of the bolt head. They will not work with cap head (recessed allen key bolts) as they have round heads, or any bolt that is in a sunken/recessed location (as are most non radial mounted brake caliper bolts). They also make it difficult to remove the bolt once in place as you have to pry the tabs from around the bolt head in order to get a socket or wrench on the head. It will be easier in the long run to just drill your bolt heads out for standard safety wiring IMO.

DMesher

Sounds like tabbed washers as an approach for hex head nuts/bolts will be a viable option that would meet tech spec requirements. I plan on using lots of conventional drilling + wiring but was wondering if this would be an option for some of the fasteners.

Thanks for the insight and expertise!

Last edited:

sv-racing-parts

:) Hi Darel, If you are already drilling and wiring you may want to get a set of quality Safety Wires Pliers and carry through with all the bolts requiring safety wires,

It is quick and easy once get used to operating the pliers,

Email me if you would like a set, I have them here most all the time,

I can ship them with the Trailer Restraint,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

DMesher

Hose Clamp Safety Wire Question

I was wondering if the constant tension clamps (photo attached) used on my bike require any safety wiring? There is obviously no possibility of these coming loose through vibration etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• CT_Clamp.jpg
    CT_Clamp.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 30

sv-racing-parts

:) Hi Derel, yes they should be safety wired, You will want to do it with the tension and direction of the safety wire pulling the clamps tighter together,

Blair

Fireman

:) Hi Derel, yes they should be safety wired, You will want to do it with the tension and direction of the safety wire pulling the clamps tighter together,

Blair

They are recommend to be wired. Not mandatory.

Dean

If you don't want to drill your bolts, Pro-Bolt USA makes some AMAZING bolts pre-drilled to replace the stock ones. These are pure joy to wire up. Each bolt has a multitude of holes so that it doesn't matter how it went in, and each hold is chamfered so the wire slides in nicely. Very Gucci parts :D

sv-racing-parts

They are recommend to be wired. Not mandatory.

:) Interesting, Thanks, most all organizations I know require them to be wired as one more step toward making sure the hoses all stay where we want them,

The recommendation is good advice to follow,

Best regards,
Blair

Fireman

:) Interesting, Thanks, most all organizations I know require them to be wired as one more step toward making sure the hoses all stay where we want them,

The recommendation is good advice to follow,

Best regards,
Blair

Do you know what organizations Blair? I've never ran into any problems in the past, including racing the Canadian national series.

sv-racing-parts

Hi Justin, I think you do safety them on your own bike. I am thinking that I remember seeing yours done,

WMRC looks for them wired, and so did most all the tracks I ran on when I was racing and track riding south, which I have not been doing the last couple of years due to health issues but I do think they have changed,

Mandatory or not at various tracks and clubs, it is still a good recommendation to follow and should be mandatory in my opinion,

Blair

DMesher

Does someone have an photo example of how the wiring would be accomplished? In my case the smaller tang is sloped without a prominent step and would not allow wiring reliably away from the larger tang (the direction required to pull the clamp 'closed'). Should this hardened spring steel tang be drilled to wire properly?

Thanks

Planepower

I'd like to argue the point of lockwiring spring tension clamps. There is no mechanical locking force other than the mettilurical make up of that clamp. Worm gear clamps I can see, but attaching a wire to the tail of the clamp accomplishes little. The screw mechanism, much like other bolts/ screws will need to be drilled and lock wired in a tightening direction. Very difficult to drill these hardened worm gear screws, that is why it is not manditory. I use slot head hose clamps and run a piece of lockwire across the opening, therefore creating a mechanical tension keeping the screw head in the tighten direction.

sand.man

I use slot head hose clamps and run a piece of lockwire across the opening, therefore creating a mechanical tension keeping the screw head in the tighten direction.

Safety_Wire_1.jpg

YZF1000jon

Does someone have an photo example of how the wiring would be accomplished? In my case the smaller tang is sloped without a prominent step and would not allow wiring reliably away from the larger tang (the direction required to pull the clamp 'closed'). Should this hardened spring steel tang be drilled to wire properly?

Thanks

The larger tab is open in a U shape that would lend itself to wiring to other items. If it's not oriented correctly a removal and flip would solve the problem quickly. Part of safety wiring is mechanical prevention of loosening of parts, another is a visual confirmation to scrutineers that the part has been checked, and quite often that is almost as important. The wiring of a clamp like this would be the latter, but still a good idea.

DMesher

The larger tab is open in a U shape that would lend itself to wiring to other items. If it's not oriented correctly a removal and flip would solve the problem quickly. Part of safety wiring is mechanical prevention of loosening of parts, another is a visual confirmation to scrutineers that the part has been checked, and quite often that is almost as important. The wiring of a clamp like this would be the latter, but still a good idea.

So the correct approach would be to safety wire from the 'U' shaped end of the clamp around the hose and back to the 'U'. Or would it be from the 'U' to another component to stop the clamp from falling off the bike?

YZF1000jon

I would wire the U to something else adding tension to the springs natural squeeze, kinda like wiring your two caliper bolts together, one works against the other.