Western Canadian Championship revival

DEFBOY35

As we all know, the numbers were not there at all this year as far as attendance. I believe 4 of us made it to mission this year and nobody made it our way.

what would entice more of our membership to make the trek down to mission for their rounds if by some miracle we could drum up enough commitment to continue this for the 2015 season?
any ideas on how to entice more guys to make their way out here?
I know Justin has mentioned that the costs and travel are a big factor, and we could easily go to miller, and they can easily go to the ridge or portland.
but with that scenario we are losing out on what could be a great even for Canadian road racing

sand.man

Are there currently any incentives in place?

I heard something about discounted entry fees for visiting racers but not sure if that was ever a thing.

WCC trophies are cool but you don't get to keep them, some kind of awards for podiums given out *on the day(s) the races are held* would be pretty cool.

DEFBOY35

Are there currently any incentives in place?

I heard something about discounted entry fees for visiting racers but not sure if that was ever a thing.

WCC trophies are cool but you don't get to keep them, some kind of awards for podiums given out *on the day(s) the races are held* would be pretty cool.
usually there are plaques to go along with the wcc trophies which you get to keep.
perhaps thats something to look at, obviously would need to go both ways when we go there. on the wmrc forum, it was discussed working out a deal with a local hotel to help make it cheaper that way as well.
and getting as many people and bikes into each vehicle is always a bonus.

Arctic Donkey

I'm all for free racing if you travel >1000km :rolleyes: I like the idea of a WCC, but the reality is distances are too great. How many racers do we get from the Calgary area on a regular basis and that is only a couple of hours away.

Considering the increased costs of racing at Castrol I'm sure that subsidizing out of town racers isn't possible.

DEFBOY35

I'm all for free racing if you travel >1000km :rolleyes: I like the idea of a WCC, but the reality is distances are too great. How many racers do we get from the Calgary area on a regular basis and that is only a couple of hours away.

Considering the increased costs of racing at Castrol I'm sure that subsidizing out of town racers isn't possible.

throwing arbitrary numbers for the sake of the discussion, but say regular fees for 3 wcc classes would be 500 for the weekend, and that attracts 3 riders, now say with a discount to make it 400$ , yes to some people 100$ might make a difference, that attracts 10 riders. well, thats an extra 2500$ to the club right there. hell, if it attracts 1 extra rider to travel for the wcc rounds, it has made the club money.
unless im wrong in thinking that more people in fact does not cost us more money to run the events? more people on the grid always brings the club more money.
i can see that some people may claim thats unfair etc etc, but it is completely fair, as you would have the opportunity to race at the discounted race at their double header weekend.

sand.man

Steve drives from Yellowknife (?) for every round for as long as I've been racing with the EMRA, haha.

I think that's why he'd be salty about giving a break to traveling racers.

Arctic Donkey

I have no problem giving a break to racers coming out for the WCC, I just doubt it makes financial sense. Yes I come down from YK for every race but that is no one's fault but my own.

M87

throwing arbitrary numbers for the sake of the discussion, but say regular fees for 3 wcc classes would be 500 for the weekend, and that attracts 3 riders, now say with a discount to make it 400$ , yes to some people 100$ might make a difference, that attracts 10 riders. well, thats an extra 2500$ to the club right there. hell, if it attracts 1 extra rider to travel for the wcc rounds, it has made the club money.
unless im wrong in thinking that more people in fact does not cost us more money to run the events? more people on the grid always brings the club more money.
i can see that some people may claim thats unfair etc etc, but it is completely fair, as you would have the opportunity to race at the discounted race at their double header weekend.

I have to disagree with this logic.
For starters you think that lowering fees from $500 to $400 (a 20% reduction) would mean that 7 more riders would show up? Getting a 333% increase in participation with a 20% price reduction doesn't happen too often.
And as you probably know reducing fees by 20% actually only reduces your cost by about 6-7% since travel costs are a bigger factor than race costs usually.
Second getting one extra rider to show up does not help if we increase fees to pay for it and lose one regular rider.
For every regular rider we lose we need 3 to show up for 2 WCC rounds to balance out.
Third it is only fair to people who can afford to travel to take advantage of the discount at the other track. Based on the number people traveling to Mission each year I would guess that only less than 20% of the club is willing/able to take advantage of that.
Sorry but those numbers just don't make sense to me.
Mike

DEFBOY35

you missed the very first part of that. ARBITRARY numbers.

and how are we increasing fees for anybody? maybe i am wrong on thinking this, but the club pays the same amount for the track and ambulance etc if we have 20 riders show up or 100. again random numbers made up. the difference is club loses money if only 20 show up as opposed to the 100.
if the out of town riders dont show up it costs the club the same amount as it does if they do. it comes down to how much or beyond the cost of a weekend that is recovered. which comes back to the point, for every out of town rider that shows up from the visiting club the club is either at less of a loss for the weekend or further ahead.

the way fees get increased is if the average number of riders to all events continues to fall and the club loses money consistently on race weekends. it has to be covered somehow hell if the grid sizes could grow and consistently be full, i am sure an argument could be made that fees didn't have to be as high as they are. but that's an entirely different topic now.

as for the total cost, i agree, travel is a huge part of it. if the interest can be generated though, i am sure there are people willing to car pool and fill trailers to split costs. i know the first year i went to mission and the costs were split between a few of us, it was much cheaper than going solo last year. as well if discounts could be made for accommodations etc we start to see a bigger overall drop in the price to go.

and for the record, steve you are a warrior for making that trek every race weekend!!!! that is commitment to the sport you love!

sand.man

I think the best tactic will be overwhelming guilt and unrelenting peer pressure. We should call their mothers!

DEFBOY35

as it looks at the moment, the wmrc has tentative dates for their rounds of the wcc on the may long weekend. i do like that as an option, means one less day possibly taken off of work. talking to andrew, it sounds like the july dates may benefit us in bringing riders out as there are no dates booked for them, and i believe he said nothing booked for the ridge as well. as well, as discussed last night, hopefully being the weekend before the csbk will also help to draw some racers out.