2015 AGM Meeting Minutes

majikx

Ok, I'll be the first to post.. I couldn't attend the meeting as I had company Christmas party, so I was awaiting the outcome and details associated with the meeting.
It sucks that because I had previous engagements I have no voice this year in the EMRA. oh well..

I would like to say, I for one will do whatever it takes and I am asking for contacts, emails, numbers, dollar amounts, what ever we have with regards to the CSBK to be passed on and out. The reason the club grew last year for alot of riders was that the CSBK came to Castrol, and I know for fact that the club will loose riders if they Nationals don't come. This will be negative for the club and the industry in general out west, one which we cannot afford, and once the Nationals stop coming it will be almost impossible to get them back.
So I suggest that now that the club is in the black, and is growing, we should put some very high interest into getting as much done with helping keep the Nationals coming as we can.

If it is only a 10k difference that is easy to deal with, is there other things involved that we don't know about??

With regards to the mandatory set up and take down, the out of town riders will have a harder time with this for sure. Is there any thoughts of this? Or everyone needs to be there Thursday for set up and Sunday night for take down.?

M87

As far as CSBK goes I'm sure everybody would like it to return but the club has to be careful that they don't write a blank cheque. Anyone who knows Calgary president Tim Johnson should ask him what it's like to take a bigger role in the promotion of a national.
As far as set up take down goes, there are 121 race numbers registered there will be 6 race weekends this year. The easy math is that is 20 people per weekend, 10 to set up 10 to tear down. If each racer does one setup or tear down per year then we are covered. Administering it might be a bit of a headache but I am sure we can figure that out.

majikx

I didn't ask the Club for a blank cheque firstly. I asked for information so people and the members can make an informed decision and see if there is any way to help out. And I know full well what Tim went through with it, thanks.

As far as the volunteering for set up and take down, you didn't answer my question. So if a racer cannot make it out the Thursday night to set up are they going to have a penalty or can they switch times or how will that work?

the_fornicator

Those details out still have to be ironed out.

You make a great point and rest assured, we want to make this easy and reasonable for out-of-towners as well. The first argument that was mentioned when this was proposed was, "but what about the people from out of town?" We definitely don't want to alienate or create an unfair demand on people.

There's been general talks about order, the process of selection is not random so as to select a single person multiple times in a season, etc.

We're trying to come to a reasonable decision and so everybody's schedule is a concern and priority. There were talks about having a sign up so people can plan far ahead, trading dates with other people, allow people to sub for you (e.g. ask a favour from a fellow rider), buy-out options, etc. The argument was also made that we can't possibly expect out-of-towners to set up as well.... so, maybe just tear down? We don't know.

Exact details haven't been discussed and please understand that this is all new so you'll have to bare with us for a bit as we figure things out in regards to the whole setup/tear down bit.

M87

Mike, I can see that I wasn't being clear. My bad.
So rather than have this blow up I will try to explain myself.
I said that the club has to be careful it isn't writing a blank cheque. I was being figurative, not literal. You said you would do "whatever it takes" I took that as being a figurative blank cheque. So that was a poor choice of words on my part.
I do agree with you that the members should know, as much as possible the details of the deal. I just don't think we should discuss them in too much detail on a public forum.
I think that getting a CSBK will involve a great deal of negotiation, and too much input from the masses doesn't always help. Especially when the people you are negotiating with can read every word.
I, for one, think that a $10,000 shortfall is simply a matter of selling 500 more tickets at $20 each but then we have to ask "Where would they sit?"
Hmmm maybe if they finished the Grand Stand there would be more room...:D
As far as out of town racers go, I am sorry I don't have a formula worked out at this moment. But the fact that each racer would only have to be available for one setup or take down per year leads me to believe that something can be worked out without a lot of drama.

the_fornicator

If it is only a 10k difference that is easy to deal with, is there other things involved that we don't know about??

I think the $10K was just a fraction of the lost proceeds. From what I hear, Castrol also had to cancel a rather large drag event to hold the CSBK. So, they lost revenue on that as well. Being a really awesome weekend weather-wise, I can believe it.

DMesher

I don't have the benefit of having attended the AGM (I was/am in the US) and unfortunately wasn't part of the CSBK discussion. From the AGM Minutes;

"CSBK: Castrol and has and <sic> crunched the numbers and said they were down close to $10K from the CSBK."

For the benefit of those of us that couldn't attend, were the details of the financial shortcomings discussed? Was it too few spectators (gate receipts) or other costs to Castrol that affected the profitability?

I would think that the CSBK at Castrol helps promote motorcycle racing in Edmonton in general, and helps promote road racing at Castrol and the EMRA specifically.

As Mike has stated, understanding the shortfall, and figuring out ways to bridge the gap would help grow the club and provide EMRA members the ability to race locally at a National level. Finding the resources to make up this shortfall will have to be balanced with the needs for other investments in track infrastructure (timing systems, air fence etc.)

In conjunction with other CSBK specific fund raising initiatives, I for one would be okay with a surcharge on race/track day related club fees which could be used to 'bridge the gap' of the Castrol losses.

Just my two cents (sense?)

Darel

Last edited:

majikx

I don't have the benefit of having attended the AGM (I was/am in the US) and unfortunately wasn't part of the CSBK discussion. From the AGM Minutes;

"CSBK: Castrol and has and <sic> crunched the numbers and said they were down close to $10K from the CSBK."

For the benefit of those of us that couldn't attend, were the details of the financial shortcomings discussed? Was it too few spectators (gate receipts) or other costs to Castrol that affected the profitability?

I would think that the CSBK at Castrol helps promote motorcycle racing in Edmonton in general, and helps promote road racing at Castrol and the EMRA specifically.

As Mike has stated, understanding the shortfall, and figuring out ways to bride the gap would help grow the club and provide EMRA members the ability to race locally at a National level. Finding the resources to make up this shortfall will have to be balanced with the needs for other investments in track infrastructure (timing systems, air fence etc.)

In conjunction with other CSBK specific fund raising initiatives, I for one would be okay with a surcharge on race/track day related club fees which could be used to 'bridge the gap' of the Castrol losses.

Just my two cents (sense?)

Darel

That's funny Darel I was thinking the same thing! Maybe have a small surcharge, what the club needs for the future is more riders, new riders, riders from other areas... the only way to get that is to promote all motorcycle racing... including and especially the Nationals. If we can keep them in edmonton, and once Vancouver Island track gets them there could potentially be 2 rounds out west, this brings more riders, then more sponsors, that is good for all racers... !!

Let's open the discussions on some shortfalls and how we as riders could help-?

DMesher

On the subject of setup/take down, I have long realized that racer availability for any given weekend may be controlled by forces beyond their control (job responsibilities, especially for out of town racers).

I have suggested that out of town racers should get special consideration (hopefully an out of town racer can schedule one race weekend that they can come early/stay late to help out). I have also suggested financial options for those that simply can't make it work rather than grid position penalties and use this collected fee to pay folks to setup/take down. Perhaps the corollary applies, setup/take down gets you a break on race fees (a little more for everyone else?)

Darel

M87

Any suggestions on where we might hire people to do the setup/take down? And I'm wondering if either of you saw any advertising/promotion of this years CSBK race.

Last edited:

DMesher

I was thinking that the folks to setup take/down would not be any different than the folks that we hire corporately to move offices from one building/floor to another. These are contract laborers that get paid on an hourly basis to move 'stuff'. Having watched a number of 'couple of hour moves' it's not a very different skillset from that required for setting up at our track.

I guess we would have to supply a truck/trailer.....

Just brainstorming here......

Last edited:

majikx

Any suggestions on where we might hire people to do the setup/take down? And I'm wondering if either of you saw any advertising/promotion of this years CSBK race.

Is that a trick question? .. I live in Calgary.. but I assumed it was taken care of with Justin, Colin, and Castrol.. if there was a break down, well.. maybe the club could've gone out and helped. At no point did anyone ask for help putting up posters or spreading word or anything...

Maybe I missed that memo. Ha ha

majikx

And before anyone jumps down my throat I am only trying to help grow the club and see it get better. That's what the leaders need to do, step up. And now I figure I have a responsibility to get in and help too..

DMesher

... I'm wondering if either of you saw any advertising/promotion of this years CSBK race.

Just the posters unveiled at the 2015 bike show, our web site, the Castrol and CSBK websites and miscellaneous bike magazine/blog websites, and all the people I told personally .... .

Ryno

There was also some radio segments and some TV spots the day before the event kicked off as well as some coverage in local news papers.. but it definitely wasn't promoted to the event of other events at castrol

M87

If we can find a way to accommodate out of town riders by getting outside help that might be reasonable. Maybe we can find another way but thats certainly a start. I have an idea myself but I want to work on it a little more before I post it.
It was not a trick question about the promotion and I don't think jumping down anyones throat helps us work this out.
Also, since I am trying to keep my rants to a minimum in the holiday season I'll just say that I felt last years event was under promoted.
Many people I know asked me about the CSBK weekend because they never heard anything about it. I personally was looking for any advertising and never saw one but I don't listen to the radio and may have missed something there.
I am not blaming the EMRA for this and especially not the exec but I feel that Castrol did not really do very much to get the event noticed.
Complaining about losing $10k on a first time event that wasn't given much exposure seems, and I'm looking for the right word here, unfair.

yak

I love the passion for the sport.

The CSBK series is a commercial "for profit venture" that ran in Edmonton between two entities other than the EMRA.

In 2015 we donated our portion of the profit from the Track Attack on the CSBK weekend and contributed in numerous ways when gaps between the two entities arose. We are a club of engaged and generous people.

I hope we see a CSBK 2016 round in Edmonton, but at this point if it doesn't happen it is not because the EMRA doesn't care or hasn't tried to help.

I write this not to dismiss the comments and suggestions being shared but to highlight where the challenges lie going forward and how the club has helped up to this point.

Regards,

Todd

M87

Thanks Todd.
On another topic.
Here is my proposal for track setup/teardown.
I am not on the exec nor will I be at every race but I would volunteer to administer this as best I can. I assume this proposal isn't perfect but that's why I am throwing it out here. I have seen similar policies work at other organizations even though there was strong resistance at first.

Each member of the EMRA would be expected to provide assistance a minimum of once a year to the club.
Assistance is to be defined but includes duties such as track set up, track tear down and other duties deemed acceptable by the exec.
A sign up sheet for foreseeable duties would be published for the entire season prior to the start of the season.
Racers can then sign up for the duty that best fits their individual schedule.
On the day the task is to be accomplished the person in charge of the activity takes note of those in attendance and each person will be credited for that year.
Racers can coordinate to have other individuals provide assistance on their behalf or people can volunteer their services without even being a member of the club.
For example Racer X comes to track setup and brings a non-racing friend Mr. Y.
Although a close personal friend of Racer X, Mr. Y can’t hide his undying admiration for Racer Z and informs the person in charge of set up that he wishes his assistance to be credited to Racer Z.
Racer D can even hire an individual to perform his commitment for him if he so chooses.
If any racer who belongs to the EMRA does not fulfil his/her duties during the 2016 race season a $100 tariff would be added to their 2017 membership. Completion of an acceptable task during the 2017 race season would result in the tariff being returned to the racer on the next race date.
So in short what you don’t do in 2016 costs you in 2017 and one simple act in 2017 wipes the slate clean.
In this way most people are able to keep a clean slate even if they can't always find a way to pitch in.
The End

Arctic Donkey

Mike, thanks for offering to administer this. I'm one of those who has to travel a fair distance to race with the EMRA and, for what it's worth, this sounds reasonable to me.