Turn 1 Barriers - Safety Issue

Helios909

I feel like the barriers in turn one and the first part of turn two should be restrained with netting or anchors so they can't blow out onto the track when someone hits them. A guy crashed into them pretty hard yesterday in the first novice race of round 2 and not only did it eject his bike back into the middle of the track, but the foam barriers sprayed all over making it impossible to see what was in front. Being about 1 second behind him, I couldn't stop fast enough nor see what to avoid and when I hit the foam barrier in the middle of the track, surprise! - his downed bike was right behind it, where all I could do was careen into and somersault over it. I might have been able to avoid it if the barriers weren't obstructing the track. I feel that this is a safety issue if the barriers can fly into the track and obscure what is in front. Ruined my race weekend, bruised me up pretty good, and pretty much wrecked my bike (forks bent, frame damage, etc etc) so I feel it's worth mentioning if there's something that could be done to protect riders from those who would otherwise have gone safely off track - but instead their bike and the safety barriers can come shooting back into the middle of the track obscuring danger for riders in the middle of a turn. I know it's racing and anything can happen, but improvements to track and rider safety should be investigated.

DEFBOY35

I will only post for myself. But I assure you that this is extremely important to all involved and I am sure that the club as a whole will do their best to improve safety to the best of our ability.

And please. If any of the members have any constructive ideas on what we can do to improve safety please feel free to email me and I will bring forward ideas and possible solutions to the exec at our next meeting.

Thank you.

S-african

I feel the only reasonable option is to move the wall in cnr 1 back - how far back? I'm not sure, but as far back as finances would allow. Cheapest option would be a gravel trap, and I'm not sure how that affects the drainage area behind the current wall. May need to do some tarmac, but moving the wall back as far as possible, slowing down in gravel, and then hitting the air fence Must be better than what it currently is. Even just 20'-30'-40' will help, It will also prevent the air fence from flying onto the track and into on coming racers path. I'm not on the exec, and I'm not into construction or paving, but we surely have the right people somewhere in the paddock to come up with a design

DEFBOY35

I agree that would be our best option if possible. That being said IF that wall is not able to be moved. We need to come up with a solution of sorts for the current wall placement as well.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I agree to you both^^^

We need an alternative plan in place for if Castrol can't wrap their heads around the importance of a safer layout in turn 1 and just say "nah, that wall is not moving."

We are open to suggestions, keep in mind the rules they have imposed on us which effect our options. For example: I don't believe we can anchor the Alpinas down into the pavement in any way.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Also I would like to thank everyone for the support. We are seeing much more constructive help/suggestions than we received during the cold winter bike-less months lol

DMesher

One of the things I have noticed through up close and personal handling of our air fence is that it is starting to show signs of the wear and tear of countless setups/take downs.

One of the most significant aspects of the airfence design is that in order for it to operate correctly there is a requirement for the entire system to remain generally intact after an impact. Unfortunately, there are so many broken/damaged clips and torn off straps that effectively and reliably connecting all of the blocks together is no longer (generally) possible. Blocks separating also become significant hazards to trailing riders after the initial impact as was identified by Michael at the start of this thread.

I was standing on the gantry directly in front of where Ryan hit on Sunday and the blocks simply blew apart rather than staying linked together. Even when the blocks were moved by the first respondents on the scene, there was no unlinking of any of the blocks. The system requires that they stay linked to be most effective.

I did some research today and found that repair kits are available for the straps/clips on each of the blocks. I would suggest that we invest in getting the blocks back to a point where they can be correctly linked as a minimum start point. (www.airfence.com)

Anchoring the blocks would be another level of difficulty (although not impossible) since the anchor points would have to be recessed and then the blocks would have to be modified to have tether points added to the bottom of each.

I'd be willing to spend a day being part of a group that removes the blocks from the trailers, cleans and and repairs new straps/clips as necessary. I'm sure we would be able to get this accomplished before the next round.

Darel

parts_StrapAss2908.jpg

parts_SparesDRingAss2908.jpg

Attachments

• parts_SparesGlue2908.jpg
    parts_SparesGlue2908.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

blam

Administrator
That system you posted would likely hold better than the quick releases current toy on the blocks. I would also have no issue coming out for an evening or two to do these repairs if necessary.

DEFBOY35

Thanks for posting Darel.
This is one of my main thoughts as well. Whether the wall moves or not. The air fence system needs to be brought back up to snuff as a starting point.

DMesher

The manufacturer of the repair parts I posted is not the same as our 'air fence manufacturer' however the repair parts and the vinyl adhesive would work for any vinyl material.

If someone can point me to our actual manufacturer, I will follow up with them tomorrow to see if they have similar repair components. Otherwise (and perhaps regardless) I would suggest we order a boatload of spares with the best unit cost ASAP and start repairing the blocks we currently have that are damaged before next round....

Darel

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Friday, June 24, 7pm at Castrol, we will be inspecting all the air fence and sending it out for repair.

If you plan on helping please be mindful of the on track activities taking place. Find a safe place for your car and walk to the air fence trailers. Do not interrupt any of the racing or lapping. Also do not drive over any mud or grass and drag it onto the track or return roads.

I will also be bringing more bottles to pack into bottle bags. After all that we will be able to take a look at the turn 1 situations and hopefully help those in attendance better understand the current location of the walls.

DEFBOY35

Thank you for everyone who was helping with this. Just curious how things went on Friday?

All air fence was removed from the trailers and inspected and recorded for damage We are working on sourcing what's needed to do the repairs.
We put our 25 best pieces into one air fence trailer which will be dedicated to corner 1.
The remainder of things being discussed are under way but take a little patience to get done. I am sure there may be more of an update after tonight's exec meeting.

rambo

Wow you guys are amazing!! It is a ton of work just loading the trailers much less unloading sorting and loading sorry I live 5 hours away or I would've been there! Big thanks again!