'07 GSXR600 Electrical Issues

Helios909

Was at the track today and noticed a few issues, in this order.

Battery was unexpectedly almost dead when I went to start it first thing in the morning - last time I started it no problem (the night before).

Bump started the engine, seemed to be running fine, however got back to pits after a few laps, tried to start the engine again and it wouldn't. Battery doesn't seem to be charging?

Hooked up a trickle charger for about 45 minutes, bike started no problem. Went out on the track again, did 3 laps, had a red flag, we stopped for a bit, I shut off the bike. Wouldn't start again, had to bump start yet again. Rode for a lap or two more, the bike started sputtering, losing power, the instrument cluster froze and said the same speed/gear/engine temp - got it downshifted, it really sputtered and now it wouldn't accelerate. Nursed it into the pit lanes while it was sputtering and bobbling, then finally the engine shut off completely.

Back to the pits, charged the battery again, it started no problem, but even when revving in neutral it sputtered a bit.

Took the bike home, hooked up a multi-meter to the battery, it reads 11.7V, when the bike is running it reads 11.5v, so I think it should be higher to indicate charging.

I haven't checked all the connectors, but it might be a bad stator or rectifier? Does this sound like a different problem or definitely electrical?

On that note, does anyone know a mechanic that would work on a GSXR for me? Dealerships won't really take these things and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure out what's wrong let alone replace it. Any help appreciated.

cSvat

I'm no mechanic, but these symptoms showed up when I had stator and regulator rectifier problems.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I had pretty much these exact same issues on my 2007 Ninja 650. I figured same as you and went to check the voltage coming from the stator windings. I got lucky, and it was just a loose connection, so I was able to clean it up, and it solved all my problems.

Where in Edmonton are you? I would be willing to come look it over with you, and see if we can figure out exactly what's wrong.

The K6/K7 GSXR600/750's eat regulator/rectifiers, mainly because of it's placement. I'll bet my shirt that yours is dead.

It's a component that makes a lot of heat, needs good cooling, and Suzuki stuffed it right behind the radiator, just above the exhaust headers.

OEM part# - 32800-21H00

They're somewhere around $240 from the dealer.

Still be diligent and check the connections, and voltage output from the stator. The connectors are under the airbox, so it's a bit of a pain to get at. Gotta lift/remove the tank. Good time to clean your air filter and change spark plugs, if they're due.

PDF of directions to follow on checking the charging system;
https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

I'd be happy to work on your bike, but, you know, 3 hour drive down to Calgary makes it tough.

Last edited:

Helios909

I got the fuel tank lifted and am figuring out things inside. I also bet it is the rectifier because when the bike was crashed in round two it looks like a puncture I got in the back of the radiator is in the exact spot where the rectifier is. I am going to check for some loose wiring and follow some YouTube videos to see if I can pinpoint which is the problem. Good tip on the air filter and spark plugs while I have that open.

I'm in the SW side of Edmonton in the Haddow area just off the Anthony Henday and Terwillegar Drive. Feel free to send me a text message at 780-242-2321 if you're able to swing by and show me how to diagnose properly.