corner 1

majikx

So after watching a really good buddy go down and really get hurt this last weekend.. I'm wondering what the status of fixing corner 1 is?..
Colin from Castrol had a front row seat to watch the crash and aftermath of his walls damage..

Does anyone have an update ?

Mike.

blam

Administrator
Hey Mike,

I believe there is a meeting with castrol coming up and jon/dave will be following up with castrol.

Dave86

Jon and I met with Castrol earlier this month, the final plan has been agreed upon by representatives of both our club and the car clubs, which is to move the barriers out against the turnaround road between the pit exit and entrance. Before the wall can be moved, they have to do drainage work in the ditch that's currently between that road and the barriers, we were told this work would be starting shortly.
As soon as that work is complete, the track owner will be getting in touch with me so I can organize a work party to pull down the fence that's attacked to the poles around corner 1, and he expects actually moving the wall can be completed in a day or two, this part is just weather dependent as the ground has to be dry enough for heavy equipment to move on. Jon and I are in contact with Castrol management about this and will keep everybody updated with any news when there is any.

Adam12

Does it mean that the radius of the turn will be increased but the bump will remain? Is this perhaps phase one and eventually something will be done with the bump itself; shave it, dig it out and fix it or move the inside of the corner to cover the bump?

Dave86

Does it mean that the radius of the turn will be increased but the bump will remain? Is this perhaps phase one and eventually something will be done with the bump itself; shave it, dig it out and fix it or move the inside of the corner to cover the bump?

The bump was not part of the discussion, the immediate concern is getting the wall moved to allow run off area - meaning more room to get a bike slowed down or stopped rather than impacting crash barriers.

majikx

The bump is definitely not the issue.. the wall is, and if this holds true moving the wall back would reduce injury and damage sustained because of a crash.. Now are they going to put anything there after they move the wall'? i.e. pavement or asphalt? i know they didnt like the gravel idea. Hopefully they don't just leave the grass there.

If you have issues with the bump into corner one, then work on your suspension. if you have a decent set-up the bump is more then manageable.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't heard anything on this, and then seeing Ryan go down it really re-inforced the need for this to be done. Too bad they think parking lot is more important then human safety

Mike

blam

Administrator
(don't quote me on this)
Mike, the wall will basically be pushed back to match the west side of pit lane in front of the elevated spectator stand/platform. where there is currently dirt grass, will be gravel.

my best guess is we would gain approx. 5m of ashphalt and 5-10m of gravel

electrobiker86

The bump is definitely not the issue.. the wall is, and if this holds true moving the wall back would reduce injury and damage sustained because of a crash.. Now are they going to put anything there after they move the wall'? i.e. pavement or asphalt? i know they didnt like the gravel idea. Hopefully they don't just leave the grass there.

If you have issues with the bump into corner one, then work on your suspension. if you have a decent set-up the bump is more then manageable.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't heard anything on this, and then seeing Ryan go down it really re-inforced the need for this to be done. Too bad they think parking lot is more important then human safety

Mike
My old school FZ with factory suspension has no issue with the bump in corner 1, would have to submit I agree with Mike on the suspension comment.

majikx

Thanks for the update . I hope that Castrol takes this serious and moves it so we can prevent further injuries-.
Mike.

shanet77

This is good news to hear the wall is getting moved back. I went into the wall fast in the Sept race round of 2015 and walked away with hurt ribs but nothing more. Very lucky. I remember feeling my body thud the tires so hard I got wet from the rain water that blew out of them. And I also agree on the bump, doesnt seem to bother me. The rumble strips through 5 concern me more ha ha. They are a nail biter at times if I run a bit deep.

ehtaylor

GOOD NEWS . After all these years we have finally built up enough bone fragments , body parts and tears it is now safe!
Excellent but mushy cushion.
Oh and we took out common sense on the front straight. Taylor out! Rolled off through the death trap and still a 1.25!

ehtaylor

True but that can be said of anyone heading into turn 1 ?
Racing is racing but that is insanity.
I raced at Brainerd turn 1 flat out in 6th roll off to get the bike to turn. Turn 2 down 1 gear and pinned.I dont have a problem sticking my neck out when the run off is there and there are no walls directly in the run off.
I have definitely have no common sense but I know what this stupid track set up will result in further devastation than it has already.
I watched somebody die in Calgary. Same arguments turn after the carousel. Walls.
I am done and I hope the rest of you head somewhere else until that turn is fixed.

blam

Administrator
no updates from castrol that I am aware of.

not likely any movement over the winter months due to the cold and the light show happening at castrol.