2017 AGM Meeting Minutes

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
What was the discussion around allowing instructors on track during qualifying/practice?

Really sad that I had to miss the AGM. Thanks Brian for posting the minutes.

blam

Administrator
If my memory serves me correctly, it was brought up due to the point about OTP wanting to host private coaching sessions during practice days while running bikes with OEM fairings, as the previous topics of discussion were about mandating all riders have aftermarket race fairings.

a member raised the question that we should in fact vote on whether or not non-racing instructors should be allowed on track before going to vote on whether or not OTP instructors can ride with OEM fairings. (OTP or not OTP, does not matter)

majority vote was no, the majority did not want additional people on track instructing others during a qualifying session. it also raises concerns with our insurance and castrol wanting vendors to pay castrol a 10% sales fee for services rendered at site.

as neil/max/zbm don't really have 10% of sales to give castrol we have been able to get away with not mandating this for our vendors.

for what it's worth, other club vendors pay 10% and are required to produce their own insurance for services.

DEFBOY35

Just for extra clarification. The rule was for any instructors during qualifying. Not just OTP.

Fireman

Will riders who are not racing on Sunday be allowed on track during qualifying Brian?

blam

Administrator
Justin,
I do understand what you're getting at with that question, but to answer you, As far as I understand, there is no limitation to racers with a valid race license and tech'd bike to run Saturday practice only.

Fireman

Ok, so if I wanted to do a Saturday practice on one of Owens 300s, I would then just not be allowed to give advice to a rider in that group? Or would I just not be allowed to give advice if I was doing it professionally?

I'm just making sure that I and the rest of the members know what I am and am not allowed to say when I am at the track.

Goatse

Ok, so if I wanted to do a Saturday practice on one of Owens 300s, I would then just not be allowed to give advice to a rider in that group? Or would I just not be allowed to give advice if I was doing it professionally?

I'm just making sure that I and the rest of the members know what I am and am not allowed to say when I am at the track.

#1. Owen sold his 300's. ;)

#2. That depends if you're getting paid for said advice. If you're being paid to give that advice, then you and the rider that paid you, would both be knowingly breaking a rule set by the EMRA (and not a rule set by the executive, but a large room of members where the majority felt that rule should be set). So it would just come down to you promoting breaking club rules to the racers that you would be instructing, and them being OK with breaking said rule as well.

Fireman

I just wanted clarification that the rule has to do with making a profit for coaching and not about the additional rider on track or the bike the rider was on.

I spent most of my adult life helping create the rules that this club is based on, so as I'm sure you know, I'm the least likely person that would purposely contradict a club rule.

Goatse

I just wanted clarification that the rule has to do with making a profit for coaching and not about the additional rider on track or the bike the rider was on.

I spent most of my adult life helping create the rules that this club is based on, so as I'm sure you know, I'm the least likely person that would purposely contradict a club rule.

I'm not saying you would. You asked for clarification for "the rest of the members", so I was simply pointing out the clarification for them on the 'what if' scenario you asked for clarification on.

Also, the rule was definitely not made to hinder people trying to make a profit. It had nothing to do with why the rule was suggested, and the motion then put forward. A member at the AGM simply stated they would not be comfortable with somebody on the track during qualifying, that had zero intention to qualify. There were multiple reasons brought forward for multiple people not being comfortable with it, and not 1 single reason was to prevent monetary gains/profit. It was important enough that somebody put forward the motion, and then it important enough that the majority voted 'for' that motion.

Being that you 'have' spent a good part of your adult life on the executive, I imagine you recognize this was a decision by the club and its members. This is not just a rule thought up and then decided on by the 11 (I think it is?) EMRA executive. This was actually the largest attendance of an AGM that I've seen since I've been with the club (2012), and it was brought up, voted on, and passed. Just like all democratic processes the club runs by.

Fireman

We are still allowing riders to ride on practice days with out intention of racing on Sunday. So I must be missing something then?

If room is not a issue, monitory gain is not a issue, and intent to qualify is not a issue, then I'm lost to what is.

I understand how the voting process works. I have sat through many AGMs. This is one of 2 that I have missed since 2004

Presentation is key, and the voices in the room are just as important. I wish I could have made it to make mine heard as I think there may have been some miscommunication.

However if I am allowed on the track to ride on practice days for pleasure, and I can help my friends advance by giving them any information I can I'll do so (at no cost of course)

Unless I am personally restricted from riding on practice days.

blam

Administrator
dana mentioned most of the points that need to be laid out.

there is really no point taking this further. neither dana nor myself, nor any other single one person can speak for the rest of the majority that voted against this, as everyone will have had a different reason as to why they voted one way or the other. as youve been to more than your fair share of AGM's, the decisions made are ultimately on the CLUB as a whole and not just banter between a few members on the forum.

I know we cant all make our schedules around the AGM but I do wish more people would come to these meetings and voice their opinions. its a shame you couldnt attend and voice yours, but I recommend you build your case for a rule change next season

Goatse

We are still allowing riders to ride on practice days with out intention of racing on Sunday. So I must be missing something then?

If room is not a issue, monitory gain is not a issue, and intent to qualify is not a issue, then I'm lost to what is.

I understand how the voting process works. I have sat through many AGMs. This is one of 2 that I have missed since 2004

Your 3rd point has me at a loss as to why you're asking for answers for the first 2.

Unless you're asking the people that voted to all come in here and publically post reasons why they raised their hands. And if they did, what would it accomplish? The rule has been passed and (as you know) there is absolutely nothing anyone (or the executive) can do about it now. The answers to 'why' they voted, is within each person that voted.

Rules are rules, and not everyone agrees with all rules, and that's why we have an AGM every season. I'm quite confident you could have 'pleaded your case' much better, so I'm also confident you'll be the first to show up at the AGM next year. Lol