Tires

Logan

OK.... Where is everyone finding race tires? I'm looking for 180/60 r17 and 120/70 r17 soft compound race tires. I would like to know where can I get them locally and if there's a discount somewhere with EMRA.

Found lots overseas, but there has to be something closer lol.

Someone please take my money!

blam

Administrator
yup. kitty kat is the man. he only carries pirelli and michelin though. if you want dunlop youll have to go elsewhere. not sure if the ZBM guys are still hocking tires next year

Logan

So I am going to order some tires here hopefully this week. What compound is everyone running? I was thinking about going with soft but then I see guys are running soft up front and medium on the rear? Is there any reason for this or is it just a personal preference?

Thanks for the advise guys!

rbod88

Can be personal preference but mainly comes down to temperatures. Softer tires need more heat and therefor work better in hotter conditions. The colder the weather the harder the compounds ideally. Medium compounds are a good option to a budget racer not knowing what conditions they might incounter. Track surfaces play a role as well. Also comes down to what your expectations of the tire is do you want the tire to last one race or one day

Logan

Can be personal preference but mainly comes down to temperatures. Softer tires need more heat and therefor work better in hotter conditions. The colder the weather the harder the compounds ideally. Medium compounds are a good option to a budget racer not knowing what conditions they might incounter. Track surfaces play a role as well. Also comes down to what your expectations of the tire is do you want the tire to last one race or one day

Im not set up to do tire changes at the track so I need a set of tires that will hold up for a day at the track, that being said too I also do not know what kind of conditions I am going to be racing in. So would a medium compound rear be my best option then?

rbod88

Im not set up to do tire changes at the track so I need a set of tires that will hold up for a day at the track, that being said too I also do not know what kind of conditions I am going to be racing in. So would a medium compound rear be my best option then?
Both tire vendors will be set up to change your tires for you at the track

Cinder

typically when less than 20 deg C we run SC1 front SC2 rear... more than 20 deg C SC1 front and rear