CBR600F4i Case Savers? Nowhere to be found :(

Dalton McNeil

So I have decided to turn my 2002 CBR600F4i into my track bike, while running through the tech requirements and prep video, I noticed the mention of case savers. Now from what I've been able to find my only options are frame sliders but if I can avoid cutting holes in my fairings if possible. If there is anyone that knows of a set of case savers for an F4i or if there's a year of CBR600RR that'll fit let me know!

Thank you!

EDIT: Are no-cut frame sliders allowed to be used/will pass tech?

Last edited:

M87

Frame sliders and case savers aren’t the same thing. Case savers are designed to keep the oil and other fluids in your engine from leaking out in a crash. Although I suspect there are several sources that would fit your bike I use NRC covers and have tested them extensively over the years.
http://kawasakiparts.ca/index.php?route=product/category&path=339_340
You are not required to have frame sliders and there are various opinions on them. Some people swear by them other people feel they may actually cause more damage in some instances. I don’t run them because no one in WSBK or MotoGP does and I only raced with the EMRA while I was waiting for a ride there

Last edited:

Dalton McNeil

Frame sliders and case savers aren’t the same thing. Case savers are designed to keep the oil and other fluids in your engine from leaking out in a crash. Although I suspect there are several sources that would fit your bike I use NRC covers and have tested them extensively over the years.
http://kawasakiparts.ca/index.php?route=product/category&path=339_340
You are not required to have frame sliders and there are various opinions on them. Some people swear by them other people feel they may actually cause more damage in some instances. I don’t run them because no one in WSBK or MotoGP does and I only raced with the EMRA while I was waiting for a ride there

I was just going off the tech checklist, it says we need "appropriate engine protection with race specific case covers and/or frame savers" I would rather not run frame sliders for a few reasons like tumbling and cutting fairings, and as far as reinforced cases and case covers go there's not much out there. I've even emailed T-Rex Racing to see if there are plans to manufacture some. I'll check out that link you provided!

blam

Administrator
frame sliders are optional.
case covers are not.

i've only been down once, and both my frame sliders and case covers did their job well. I run the "shorty" style frame sliders from woodcraft. they only barely reach out past my fairings.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/nrc-honda-cbr600f4i-01-06-engine-covers/

one note about the "cutless" style frame sliders, they are typically not as strong, and will more than likely just snap off in a race incident. you'll be running race plastics if you are racing, so cutting them up shouldnt be a big deal. if you're prepping a bike for track days, you dont need any of this stuff.

M87

Brian is correct, as he often is.
The link he sent was for the same covers that I showed but from a different dealer. NRC covers are actually made by a Kawasaki dealer in Ontario but they are made for lots of different bikes. They aren’t pretty but are very crash resistant and strong. That is especially important for F4i since it only takes a small knock on those cases to damage the crank. My first track bike was an F4i and I basically threw away a motor because I used a cheap case and dinged the crank when it failed.
Now I don’t throw away engines until I put a rod through the cases.
All that being said I really think that you are better off buying a used race bike instead of trying to convert your F4i.
Just look at the economics. Race fairing $600 if you are lucky. Rear sets $350. Cases $200 to do both sides. Shock at least $800 and that's if you can find one. If you choose to use the stock shock add more money for new fairing and footpegs, you'll need them. Fork kit, if you can find one, $200. I suppose you could run the stock clip on's for a bit but they are pretty high and won't help your body position. Brake guard $100, shark fin $60. The list goes on and on.
I would think you need to spend at least $2200-$2300 to convert an F4i to a bike that is not scary to ride and legal to race.
I know of at least one beat up race bike that is legal and sorted for less than $2k. Sell your F4i and ad that to your budget and there are probably more.
Sometimes it's hard to leave the bike we are familiar with and we dream of creating something great but in this case I think you should abandon the dream.

Last edited:

M87

By the way Jeff VdV has an ex Szoke 2005 ZX6r for sale for less than 2 grand. It's ugly and needs some TLC but it has a lot of the basics sorted.

blam

Administrator
^^ very valid point. building an older (less popular) bike is very pricey vs buying a prepped bike with most of the parts.

my 07 CBR was a street bike when i converted it. I've Probably put 4K into it on top of the purchase price of the bike. i dont even want to think about what i could have bought for that money.

electrobiker86

You started out by saying that you are wanting to create a track bike; are you looking to race or do track days? I am assuming that racing is your goal, as the F4 is fine for track days as is. Very valid points above, large time commitment, and budget required, to convert to a race bike. If you want to try out a couple different bikes on track, V twin or inline 4, I have some bikes race set up for reasonable cost for the day.

Note on the frame slider comment, one did destroy a motor mount last crash I had, the shorter slider would have been a better choice. Slider bolt was very bent, as the longer slider had a lot of leverage on it. The long sliders are typically good for low speed crashes, bike falls over in paddock or while loading, etc; for saving the body work. They could be bike destroying in high speed crashes.

Some bikes are engine case / cover exempt because the case can't be hit by design, such as the SV; has to be one of the cheapest bikes to convert to race for that reason. Not aware of any inline 4 that is exempt though.

Dalton McNeil

You started out by saying that you are wanting to create a track bike; are you looking to race or do track days? I am assuming that racing is your goal, as the F4 is fine for track days as is. Very valid points above, large time commitment, and budget required, to convert to a race bike. If you want to try out a couple different bikes on track, V twin or inline 4, I have some bikes race set up for reasonable cost for the day.

Note on the frame slider comment, one did destroy a motor mount last crash I had, the shorter slider would have been a better choice. Slider bolt was very bent, as the longer slider had a lot of leverage on it. The long sliders are typically good for low speed crashes, bike falls over in paddock or while loading, etc; for saving the body work. They could be bike destroying in high speed crashes.

Some bikes are engine case / cover exempt because the case can't be hit by design, such as the SV; has to be one of the cheapest bikes to convert to race for that reason. Not aware of any inline 4 that is exempt though.

As far as price is concerned I'm not too worried. I grew up on this bike, and it's just one I'm comfortable on. I've already set a budget for my suit, helmet, boots, gloves, and bike setup. All in all it's gonna be around $6,500 for what I plan to purchase. Suspension is being ditched for some race tech suspension. Race bodywork is on backorder till the first week of January. Lever guards, shark fin, new chain and sprockets, grips, steel brake lines, pads, new clutch, rearsets, wiring has all been shortened and lights removed same with the ignition, tires (michelin power rs!), tire warmers, rear stand adapters, are all on my list! Engine wise, I'm not too worried. I have 2 spare engines minus a clutch basket in one. There was a nice 600RR for sale by one of the Savage Sloths a few months ago but I think it's been sold. I do appreciate all the information that you guys have given me and I'll check those NRC covers out for sure! (Although I can only find the left side?)

Hope to see you all this season!

Last edited:

electrobiker86

Hope to see you all this season![/QUOTE]

You too Dalton! BTW seems how you are committed to the Honda, I have an older Honda rear rim I have no use for, if you can use it, you can take it away. I am easy to spot in the pits, only one with a ol skool Chevy camper van.
The Alpine Stars suit D'arcy has for sale in buy and sell is like brand new, if it fits could save ya some money.

Dalton McNeil

Hope to see you all this season!

You too Dalton! BTW seems how you are committed to the Honda, I have an older Honda rear rim I have no use for, if you can use it, you can take it away. I am easy to spot in the pits, only one with a ol skool Chevy camper van.
The Alpine Stars suit D'arcy has for sale in buy and sell is like brand new, if it fits could save ya some money.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, love my hondas. Got 7 of them in the garage. Planning on adding more one day. Sure! I'll take it! I'll also take a look at that suit!

I'll probably be easy to spot too, I'll be in a 3rd gen black dodge decals for BertaRAMS in the front and back windows. Look forward to meeting ya!