Travel Insurance for Racing/Tips and Tricks for riding The Ridge in Seattle

Matt Stokes

I'm travelling to The Ridge in Seattle next weekend to race with WMRRA. I need some travel medical insurance that covers "Speed Contests", which is insurance lingo for racing and extreme sports. It's proving difficult to find this coverage. Does anyone know an insurer that offers this? I'm sure some EMRA members have solved this problem in the past.

Also, if anyone has ridden at The Ridge, any tips and tricks for visiting and riding this track would be great.
Cheers!

Matt Stokes

DEFBOY35

The only Canadian option is tugo. Can get it through atb and a few other brokers etc.

The other option is ridersurance.com they were awesome to deal with in the past. You will need separate injury insurance and life flight. Chopper rides are expensive.

They had me through world med plan b and global rescue.
They may push something else currently. But you can check those sites as well and compare pricing. I've heard it has gone up which sucks.

Let us know what you figure out and current pricing

Matt Stokes

Update - Tugo is the only Canadian insurer who offers the "Speed Contest" coverage. Their insurance is available from a number of brokers, or you can call them directly. Ridersurance.com has changed their policies and don't offer short term trip insurance for racing.

So if you're going to the US and don't have health insurance already in place, budget about $300 extra for travel insurance for racing. Painful...but not as painful as a US hospital bill would be!

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Update - Tugo is the only Canadian insurer who offers the "Speed Contest" coverage. Their insurance is available from a number of brokers, or you can call them directly. Ridersurance.com has changed their policies and don't offer short term trip insurance for racing.

So if you're going to the US and don't have health insurance already in place, budget about $300 extra for travel insurance for racing. Painful...but not as painful as a US hospital bill would be!

Matt just a heads up, ask for a higher deductible like $5000 and the cost of the insurance drops quite a bit. i did this, because the way i see it is if i need the insurance for a serious injury i would be happy to pay $5000.

Reactions: M87

Matt Stokes

Agreed. Thanks Brian. I put a fairly high deductible on there and the rate dropped by about 1/3. But it's still in the $250 - $300 range for a speed contest policy.

Bring on The Ridge!