Formula Thunder Twin

cyclecrazy

I am looking for a Twin (L or V Twin) for possible 2013 race season. 848, 1098, 1198.

PM me with details and asking price. Leg room on the bike will be the key for my knee to hold up.

Dave

Ducbert

All the Duc's have a geometry issue that needs to be fixed and suspension issues, not to mention a few other things. The 848 might be under powered for you but if you are into the wet clutch go for it. (different launch tactics with diff style of clutch) The 1X98 versions, don't bother with an S, the ohlins components are still under par for racing application. The wheels are nice but you can buy light weight wheels after and use the stockers as backups.

From what I understand, if you can find a well built 999S/R for race, do it. The handle about the same and the 999 has double sided swing arm. Gearing choices are easier to setup, the single sided swing arm is a PITA for gearing choices.

Finding a race bike setup is going to be your best call, otherwise you will spend more $$ to set the bike up, it's a Ducati, get ready to open your wallet........

Leg room and reach is Heaven though I do not feel cramped on the track nor did I ever on the street. :)

Last edited:

Dean

You need the Kyle racing bits to take care of the geometry issues. The triples, the linear link and the TTX milled down to fit, and you can create a pretty awesome handling bike. But that's going to set you back another 3 bills though.

cyclecrazy

Thanks for the great info, all good suggestions. 999 would allow sportsman racing too.

John, I would Love a Panigale, I dont have that kind of budget.

JDS

Theres a few wrecked ones in the states coming up for auction(sometime this winter) They probably wont be cheap though. Salvage USA bikes go for a higher dollar then the ones up here.

As for leg room. Ive been flirting with the idea of raising the seat a inch or 2. It makes a world of a difference in knee comfort.

Last edited:

JDS

^^ easier on the knees. But. Could use a little more HP (IMO) Probably similiar to a Ducati Hypermotard. ?

Planepower

At under 400lbs race weight it could make a good niche racer. And having a big flat torque curve would make a big smile across anyone's face :D

cyclecrazy

Looks like black #51 will be hitting track for 2013. I seem to have my Ducs in a row now :eek:

Thanks for everybody's input, Mostly to JD Stroh, Norbert and of course Jamie! :D