Gen 2 SV650 for track bike?

Mullet2Skullet

Hi gang,
I am looking to get a dedicated track bike, that I could build both my skill and confidence level with.

I have always thought the SV650S would be a good bike to start with, and was wondering what you guys think?

Watching one of your August rounds this past summer,I saw a couple out there, and it looked like they were having a blast.
I see a few Gen 1's pop up for sale, but I prefer the Gen 2's, mainly because of F.I

My Gig:
I am 51 years old, in the 200lb range, and haven't been on a racetrack since 1987 at Racecity, and that was just for one weekend.
I bought a 2011 GSXR 750 (great bike) late last fall, but only got about three rides on it, before the snow started to fly! I love the bike, but would prefer to start on the track with something slower.
I have been riding dirt all my life, and in recent years adventure type road bikes.

So, if anyone has some input on SV's or another bike that might be a good fit for me, I would appreciate the advice very much!

Thanks
Gary

jlitz

I ride an extremely well prepared kawasaki 650r that I bought from an expert twins racer a year ago.

I was drawn to the twins class to learn how to ride a bike fast, not ride a fast bike and I believe it payed off.

All models of the kawi are fuel injected since the bike came out in 06 and many kawi parts are interchangeable and fit with minor modification.

Can't stress suspension enough either, I know it's preached all over the internet, however I thought my old bike was set up well. Then I rode this one , aftermarket and completely set up/sprung correctly for my weight and it was night and day. Especially up north here where are track just isn't quite as smooth.

Coffee breaks over,

Hope to see you out there!

Mullet2Skullet

I ride an extremely well prepared kawasaki 650r that I bought from an expert twins racer a year ago.

I was drawn to the twins class to learn how to ride a bike fast, not ride a fast bike and I believe it payed off.

All models of the kawi are fuel injected since the bike came out in 06 and many kawi parts are interchangeable and fit with minor modification.

Can't stress suspension enough either, I know it's preached all over the internet, however I thought my old bike was set up well. Then I rode this one , aftermarket and completely set up/sprung correctly for my weight and it was night and day. Especially up north here where are track just isn't quite as smooth.

Coffee breaks over,

Hope to see you out there!

Good information... Much appreciated!

Jason Henton

So, if anyone has some input on SV's or another bike that might be a good fit for me, I would appreciate the advice very much!

Thanks
Gary

I run a 1st gen SV. I'm slow, but I have lots of fun with it, they are good bikes. They do take a bit of upgrades/work to get them to handle, the stock suspension is terrible, but they are easy to upgrade. Most (used) track bikes will have this done already. There is still a fairly large amount of them running around on race tracks, so there is a decent amount of used and after market parts available for them too. They are fairly forgiving on the track (I don't run a steering dampener on mine), but you can still get a little squirrelly if your not careful. When they do get the better of you, they usually crash fairly well, keep a decent supply of foot pegs and frame sliders around though. They are eligible for a lot of classes, enough that you wont be wanting for track time. That said, there is a fairly small group of us that run the lightweight/middleweight classes, so you can also limit yourself to the smaller grids while learning and have a little breathing room on the track if you want.

Mullet2Skullet

I run a 1st gen SV. I'm slow, but I have lots of fun with it, they are good bikes. They do take a bit of upgrades/work to get them to handle, the stock suspension is terrible, but they are easy to upgrade. Most (used) track bikes will have this done already. There is still a fairly large amount of them running around on race tracks, so there is a decent amount of used and after market parts available for them too. They are fairly forgiving on the track (I don't run a steering dampener on mine), but you can still get a little squirrelly if your not careful. When they do get the better of you, they usually crash fairly well, keep a decent supply of foot pegs and frame sliders around though. They are eligible for a lot of classes, enough that you wont be wanting for track time. That said, there is a fairly small group of us that run the lightweight/middleweight classes, so you can also limit yourself to the smaller grids while learning and have a little breathing room on the track if you want.

Thanks for the very helpful information Jason!

The plan is track days for this year, and then if I enjoy it as much as I think I will, race school next year, and try some racing.

And yes, that was another reason for wanting to try an SV. After watching one of the rounds this past summer, I noticed the classes they were being raced in were definitely a little smaller... Probably a good thing for a beginner.

I thought about a 300, as my son has a Ninja, that he is thinking about selling, and moving up to something bigger for the street, but unfortunately it doesn't pull my girth that well! Plus, I would like to find something already track prepped!

Thanks again!
Gary

Arctic Donkey

Gary,
I'm the same age and ~weight as you. Have been racing the same Gen2 since they came out in 2003.....with a few mods along the way ;-) Obviously I am biased but I think the SV is a great bike to start and continue to race with. If you do go in that direction and have any questions I think you will find all the help you need here from your fellow "competitors".

Steve

Mullet2Skullet

Gary,
I'm the same age and ~weight as you. Have been racing the same Gen2 since they came out in 2003.....with a few mods along the way ;-) Obviously I am biased but I think the SV is a great bike to start and continue to race with. If you do go in that direction and have any questions I think you will find all the help you need here from your fellow "competitors".

Steve
Thanks Steve!
Yes, I think that the SV's are the way to go for me.
Keeping an eye peeled for the right one now.

Arctic Donkey

I too like FI but Gen1 and Gen2 bikes can be made to be equally competitive. Some even prefer the Gen1. I have never run anything but stock rear sets and have never had a clearance issue. If you are tall, I believe the 2003 is the tallest of the Gen2 models. I think getting a used race bike is the way to go but if you get a stock unit you will need to read up on some of the required safety mods like a "Shark Guard" etc. At 200lbs the stock shock will not work for you so look for a used Penske. Depending on your budget, you will want at least some emulators in the forks but the best option is a GSXR600/750 complete front end. M4 makes a good exhaust. A 5.5" rear wheel conversion is also nice :)

bgo62

Gary it will be great to see you out there , you know where to find me if you need a helping hand . :)

Mullet2Skullet

I too like FI but Gen1 and Gen2 bikes can be made to be equally competitive. Some even prefer the Gen1. I have never run anything but stock rear sets and have never had a clearance issue. If you are tall, I believe the 2003 is the tallest of the Gen2 models. I think getting a used race bike is the way to go but if you get a stock unit you will need to read up on some of the required safety mods like a "Shark Guard" etc. At 200lbs the stock shock will not work for you so look for a used Penske. Depending on your budget, you will want at least some emulators in the forks but the best option is a GSXR600/750 complete front end. M4 makes a good exhaust. A 5.5" rear wheel conversion is also nice :)
Thanks again Steve!
All your info is very helpful and appreciated!
Yes, my number 1 plan is to find a decent SV set up for the track.
As much as I like modding bikes piece by piece, it doesn't make sense financially to start out with a stock bike, and pump a bunch of cash into it for my level of experience or skill level!
One other question.. What tires do you prefer to run on your SV at the track?

Thanks
Gary

Arctic Donkey

I think most people are choosing Pirelli these days but it also comes down to personal preference........and what is available. I'm a bit of a diehard Michelin guy but the last time I was on track I was running a Dunlop front and a Bridgestone rear ;-) With the stock rear (4.5") I don't honestly know what the "best" choice is as I have been running a 5.5" rear for some time. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not, give Max (our local Pirelli guy) a shout.

S-african

Pirelli are a great tire at track, and have track side support with Max (FTR)
Also have track records for the club at 1000 and 600 level - And i think Mike Z knows his tires pretty well

yak

I started racing a few days ago on an RZ350, then I moved UP to a 2005 SV650S. I happily add my endorsement to it being a fun bike to race on.

I can also vouch for Steve's expertise on anything SV related (and quite a few other subjects if they come up:)).

All the best,

Todd

Mullet2Skullet

Thanks to everyone for all your great input!
It is very helpful to hear what experienced racers recommend , whether it be bikes tires, or gear!

If anyone comes across a decent track ready 2nd gen SV, please let me know!

Gary

andrew_marles

I've run the Pirelli 160 DOT on the 4.5 rim in the past and it is great. Lots of grip for the SV, but it does wear a lot faster than the 180/55 slick on the 5.5 rear.

My SV has a stock rear shock - it’s time to upgrade

I’m looking for suggestions for a better rear shock while on a budget

Willie Vass quoted $1,500 for a quality shock. I’m hoping there are more affordable options