Help with rims/rotors

RacerX

Just Ebay'd set of wheels/rotors last night.

Can someone help/point me towards help mainly with checking rotor straightness, but wheels too when they arrive.

The front is a little rashed, so I took a chance on them to use for track-spares.

(I'll have an extra 08-10 gsxr 750 rear for sale when they arrive)

jetfixer15

In lieu of a proper wheel truing stand the best thing to do for checking straighness of the wheel and discs is to install wheel, lift the front end off the ground, place a straight tool (like a punch or drill bit) against the fork leg where the wheel rim passes close by and spin the wheel. It is important to get the tool as close to the rim as possible. Watch to see if the distance between the end of the tool and the rim changes (it will look like the wheel is wobbling). The same can be done for the brake discs by moving the tool down to where the discs pass the fork legs. Just be sure to ensure the discs are correctly torqued to the rims. The same can be done for the rear rim, just using the swing arm, and making sure the wheel is installed without the chain so it spins freely and aligned of course. You can leave the brake calipers in place if you wish but I usually have them off soi the wheel spins freely.

oldskool

In regards to the wheels, If you spin them and eyeball them and they 'look' good, then they're good, especially to mount rains on. I've had some fairly tweaked wheels going nearly 300kph without issue. If you have a horribly out of balance wheel, that is going to provide more of a concern at speed than the trueness. BTW I mean really out of balance, not just out of balance when you throw a new tire on and go.

YZF1000jon

I've got a balance/truing stand I can bring out to the test and tune if you want (when do they show?). I'll also be at the school and round 1.