Motard ideas / comments

Planepower

Ok - i had a BLAST on the DRZ this year, i wish i would have started earlier racing it.
Now my question to those in the know...
Im lacking a bit of HP, and am way overweight (the bike not me lol) with the DRZ. I am sure a racer of better calibre could flog that bike better than I, but im looking to upgrade for next year, and am not sure which direction to go. Im not looking to do any major engine mods on the DRZ as it would still be a fat pig
So, do I stick with a Japanese MX 450? If so, whats the differences /drawbacks (i.e. transmission ratios, handling, replacement parts costs) besides converting to 17" wheels and brakes?

Or do i try to find an exotic as in a Husqy 450 SM-R or KTM SM.

popik

The Ape is a good bike but needs some geometry and suspension sorting. The 450's can be had for dirt cheap right now and as for 07's are less prone to self destruction. I love my 450 but the back straight makes me want for the 550.

Doug would be the best guy to talk to about this !

ronin26

Buy my crf. It will have a completely rebuilt engine, its the fastest tard out there.

You've seen all the yummy chassis bits...its capable of better but all can do on it is 103.0 :)

Planepower

Buy my crf. It will have a completely rebuilt engine, its the fastest tard out there.

You've seen all the yummy chassis bits...its capable of better but all can do on it is 103.0 :)

And ive seen it blow up lol
Is it becasue of how high strung you made it, or is it becasue its a Honda?
Or are any MX converted going to be grenades?

ronin26

You already own the only "reliable" sumo...

Has nothing to do with make all the mx bikes hate pavement.

YZF1000jon

I have a friend who may still have an older low mile SXV 550 for sale if you want me to check. Tawheed looked at it a while ago to replace his DRZ (he may have some tricks up his sleeve too).

YZF1000jon

Dan Scharfl
2007 SXV5.5
120 miles
Make me an offer. $12,000 new. 780-621-2061
I had it into Echo Cycle for all required updates and service last month.

JDS

WHAT $12000. I wouldnt know what to offer.
I can buy a 07 with 2 miles on it with the new 09 motor & 3 month warranty for 5700 USD (+ shipping) 800 - 1200. I offered the seller $5000. No repley.
Is he willing to take a $5000 loss on a bike with 120 miles?

popik

well if either of you two end up with it let me know and i'll add your name to the group order list for parts from Af1 in Texas. They are about the best Ape dealer you will find in NA and i have been getting all oem parts from them for the past 3 years.