Race Prep for a Noob

Ride_Bikes

Hey guys,

I have been playing on track for a few years now and am now thinking about trying my hand at racing competitively, with that said I am not entirely sure of all the requirements. I currently use my street bike for track days, a completely stock 2002 kawi zx6r, and am thinking of just converting this into my race bike; but also hoping to still be able to use it for normal street riding (if possible).

Here are the things that I understand and can figure out for myself: brake lever guard, shark fin, safety wire all nuts and bolts, covers for brake reservoirs, sufficient tire tread, fresh brake fluid and general up to date maintenance. Of course, can't forget to mention race school.

The parts I am unclear about are whether or not race fairings are required, and what is needed in regards to engine cover.

If anyone on here could shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Any additional pointers and suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Hey guys,

I have been playing on track for a few years now and am now thinking about trying my hand at racing competitively, with that said I am not entirely sure of all the requirements. I currently use my street bike for track days, a completely stock 2002 kawi zx6r, and am thinking of just converting this into my race bike; but also hoping to still be able to use it for normal street riding (if possible).

Here are the things that I understand and can figure out for myself: brake lever guard, shark fin, safety wire all nuts and bolts, covers for brake reservoirs, sufficient tire tread, fresh brake fluid and general up to date maintenance. Of course, can't forget to mention race school.

The parts I am unclear about are whether or not race fairings are required, and what is needed in regards to engine cover.

If anyone on here could shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Any additional pointers and suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

Aside from the stuff you've already mentioned...

Race plastics are not mandatory but highly highly recommended. They get more flexible when they are hot and they crash very well. OEM plastics will break into pieces and you'll need to replace them anyways. Plus OEM bodywork is a bit more dangerous i feel to get tangled up in, where are race plastics are made from less pieces and they're bigger with fewer splits between the pieces to catch on a rider. Neil Carlson from Freight Train Racing is a Flexiglass bodywork supplier for the EMRA.

Engine covers are pretty standard, any aftermarket protection that reinforces the cover for strength and thickness. Woodcraft makes some awesome products. What we are worried about here is an engine case cover cracking in an impact and dumping oil on the track. If you can't find aftermarket engine case covers available for your bike, i have seen guys get a thick piece of aluminum (like 3/4") welded professionally onto the engine case cover to act as a sort of slider. Not ideal and not really recommended, but if there is no other option a good attempt at that can get you passed tech.

Tips:
The most valuable tip i can give you is that when you go to safety wire the bike, make sure you buy Dewalt Cobalt Titanium drill bits and use a bit of WD40 while drilling. Its like a hot knife through butter.
If you don't, be prepared to break a ton of drill bits and spend hours safety wiring a bike. Its a pain without the right tools.

Remember you're not safety wiring EVERY nut and bolt. Just the key ones, check the tech sheet for more info. Things like pinch bolts, calliper bolts, axle nuts, drain plug, oil filter clamp, rad cap. Banjo bolts can be siliconed.

Silicone the shit out of your bike. Every bolt on my bike has worked itself out at some point or another. I put a dab of silicone on everything and it can save you from losing a handlebar mid race, or a clutch lever etc etc.

I'm sure i'm not the only executive that would be willing to swing by your place before a race round one day when its convenient and do a quick pre-tech just to tell you if you've forgotten anything. We're all really helpful and if you live near any one of us i don't think we would mind. Then at least you'll know if the bike is ready before the weekend starts.

Good luck!

Ride_Bikes

Thanks Macbayne, I have actually already read through those documents, I am actually trying to get further clarification for those.

Thank you SetUpSixRR, that is the information I was looking for. I haven't actually had much luck in finding aftermarket engine covers for my bike; it's an older model so I may have to do a little digging.

In regards to the race plastics, I forgot to consult with the EMRA sponsors/vendors for deals on needed parts, thanks for bringing up this point.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Ride_Bikes

Engine Covers

So I have found basically only one manufacturer for engine covers that may pass tech for my bike, however there is no external slider, these casings claim to have internally built additional thickness in impact areas and are claimed to be made for racing purposes. They look very similar to that of the OEM cases as well.

Do these look like they would pass a tech inspection, or would I be best in buying a cheap set of OEM replacements and having someone weld on an additional piece of aluminum?

http://www.nrcracing.com/covers_search.php?year=2002&make=4&model=5

It's harder than I thought to find engine covers for my bike, it's age is becoming a bit of an obstacle, I may end up just buying someones old race bike instead.

teejay

I'll sell you my B bike, its an 07 gsxr 600 track only bike. everything is drilled and safety wired, comes with two sets of plastics. $3000.00 only thing you would need is shark fin and brake guard.

M87

In case you don't buy another bike NRC covers are fine. They actually seem to hold up better than many of the more popular ones. I won't mention any names but I have first hand experience with several types and NRC are as good or better than any.

Last edited:

Ride_Bikes

Thanks M87, glad to hear those would suffice as they are reasonably cheap and they are all I can find.

teejay, that does sound like a pretty decent offer, however I do not have the funds to buy your bike without first selling my bike..and this isn't the best time of year to make a quick sale. Would you maybe consider a trade? Completely stock 2002 ZX6R with fresh fluids and tires, well maintained.

ehagar

So I have found basically only one manufacturer for engine covers that may pass tech for my bike, however there is no external slider, these casings claim to have internally built additional thickness in impact areas and are claimed to be made for racing purposes. They look very similar to that of the OEM cases as well.

Do these look like they would pass a tech inspection, or would I be best in buying a cheap set of OEM replacements and having someone weld on an additional piece of aluminum?

http://www.nrcracing.com/covers_search.php?year=2002&make=4&model=5

It's harder than I thought to find engine covers for my bike, it's age is becoming a bit of an obstacle, I may end up just buying someones old race bike instead.

Buying an old race bike is a great option, but if you are going to convert your bike there is nothing wrong with NRC covers.

I use NRC covers on my Yamaha.... crash tested them too unfortunately. I really didn't need to replace the Stator cover but decided to anyway.

Ride_Bikes

Thanks for all the helpful information, I feel a lot more confident going forward with my race prep mods that I will be doing over the coming months. :cool:

Ride_Bikes

SetUpSixxRR, thanks but I have been running frame sliders since day one as a little bit of assurance that my plastics aren't a complete write off in the case of a slide. They saved my bike once a couple years ago at Strato, I'm just now getting new ones though lol

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Cool, just wanted you to know it's not a requirement. some guys like them and it's paid off. Other guys don't run them because they've contributed to rendering a frame written off in a standard crash.
Just ask Todd. Lol

Ride_Bikes

Dang, I never realized that they could cause frame damage..makes sense. I feel that with the way they are set up on my bike I should be good though...hopefully. Downed once with no frame damage at least lol