Race Tire Questions

Arctic Donkey

I can't help but add some fuel to this fire :)

It wasn't on a superbike and I wasn't doing 1:01s or better but my current Michelin front slick has 500+ laps on it and I still managed some 1:02s in the last race of 2012

madmax

I call BS on this entire thread! U couldnt get the amount of laps u guys speak of on a set of street tires BAWAHAHA

Carry on!

I am gonna destroy tires in 50 laps and love life doing it HAHAHA

sv-racing-parts

Dunlop Press Release

:) Here is an interesting Press Release regarding Daytona 2013 and Dunlop,

Daytona 2013 Sets Historic Benchmark For Dunlop

Buffalo, NY: Daytona 2013, the opening AMA Pro Road Racing event of the year, ushered in a new era for Dunlop tires—a milestone that carries huge importance for racers and track-day riders all across the country.

For the first time in the long and outstanding history of Dunlop’s achievements at Daytona, all Bikeweek 2013 road races were won on Dunlop race tires manufactured in Buffalo, NY. And Dunlop’s Buffalo-made slicks and DOT race tires are available not just to these pros, but to club racers and track-day riders as well.....

Same Tires as Dunlop is shipping to all riders and racers this year,

Enjoy the ride and best regards everyone,
Blair

It won all races in the AMA because it is the SPEC tire. They literally have no choice!

I remember Dunlop making the same press release last year of how the AMA riders won on Dunlop tires. LOL

JDstealth

I think what they are getting at is that the tires were made in the USA, and not the UK versions that have been far superior in previous years.

I still don't get it because the riders still wouldn't have a choice judging by the Spec tire rule book. It is all controlled by the vendor and
"Dunlop tires purchased elsewhere may not be used at AMA Pro Nationals. Only tires purchased at the track may be used in AMA Pro competition and these tires will be required to have current raceweekend AMA Pro tire identification stickers affixed to the sidewall when a rider enters the track."

Unless the riders did have a choice between the USA tire and UK which they do not mention anywhere? HAHAHAHAHA its just they make it sound like the rider won only because he was on Dunlops. They could of made that claim about the guy finishing in last also sinc the whole field was on them. :D

Ducbert

I choose my brand of tires based on four things:

Price/Budget
Availability of tire and vendor
Quality of service
Wear of tire

Then tire choices within that brand:

How often will I race/ride?
What will give me confidence to ride my pace?

You should trust the tires you have under you, regardless of make, tread or compound. Be realistic and start with DOT's work your way up. Many start on DOT's with no warmers and do fine. Others continue to do so....

Slicks require warmer's and gen set.

Never push/fool yourself into saying "Well (rider) can do 1:01's on these tires so I should be able to do that on these." Your bike and you are not that rider.

Lastly, try different tires, because that's all part of racing (right tire, right pressure, right compound=confidence and confidence = relaxed to not worry about tires, but more brain power to focus on lines, entry etc etc)......

And, if you don't like the feel of them, sell them, try something else....You are not married to your tire vendor!

Last edited: