Rain Tires

Adam12

Ahoy Folks.
I am making a transition to dedicated track tires for my dual purpose bike. I am running Pirelli DR2s for street and will get q3s on the track rims and hopefully graduate through various tires to gain some fact based opinions which at times are difficult to find on the internet. I wanted to ask for advise about rain tires. Rain is not my friend at the track. This upcoming weekend is suppose to be be a downpour and over past week I have decided that I need to at least be adequate in the wet. Any advise what would be a good rain tire for a novice rain rider?

DEFBOY35

Ahoy Folks.
I am making a transition to dedicated track tires for my dual purpose bike. I am running Pirelli DR2s for street and will get q3s on the track rims and hopefully graduate through various tires to gain some fact based opinions which at times are difficult to find on the internet. I wanted to ask for advise about rain tires. Rain is not my friend at the track. This upcoming weekend is suppose to be be a downpour and over past week I have decided that I need to at least be adequate in the wet. Any advise what would be a good rain tire for a novice rain rider?
A decent street tire should work. Don't need the heat in them as much from what I understand and are meant for all conditions. Just ride within yours and the tires limits and you will be fine. Concentrate on smooth and you will be a better rider for it.

Adam12

I suppose it is the confidence factor. I am in intermediate in the the dry. Its just that I have been reading a lot about street tires and a rainy track. for example RS10s are suppose to be atrocious in the rain, yet I have seen riders with knee down on q3's in the rain. When would you recommend moving to rains? Only once a rider achieves fastest group?

electrobiker86

I am a huge fan of the Michelin pilot 4s wet or dry.Not sure about dual purpose use though.
I don't mind, or notice, the rain at all, I let a little air out of the tires and hammer down. Actually looking forward to a cool weekend, heat and leather suit is not what I am into.

Adam12

Thanks. Uncertainty is the mother of so many problems.
I am going to see new q3's do this weekend in the rain and wet.
Also it'll give me chance to chat up those that will be riding on rains.