Riding style Q: where is your butt?

Eatoniashoprat

Hi folks,

Are you hanging right off the bike? Or just off one cheek?

I'm quite new to road racing, I took the advance EMRA race school this spring, did a practice/race in Calgary and spent a short time on some mini road race bikes. Coming from motocross and snocross side of life. I have never really ridden a sportbike on the street.

When I ride it feels more natural to completely hang off the side, like ass completely off the seat and inner calf on outside holding you on. But I don't see many fast riders doing this. Is it more important to get your upper body down and facing the corner exit? Only downside I can think of having butt way off is takes a lot more energy to move around that much AND keep it smooth.

I realize everyone has their style but I'm still figuring mine out and now is the time to optimize it. Thoughts?

Mike

Last edited:

M87

Go through the photo galleries. Look at Pete Degraff, ( ex motocrosser) Justin,
Royce, Jason, Edhi, Spence and that 99 fella, guys like that.
Check the results to see who's fast and look at their picture, most have at least part of a cheek on the seat. If you take both cheeks off your spine twists and you actually "counter-weight" yourself.
The generally accepted rule of thumb is to hang off as much as you can while keeping your spine PARALLEL to the bikes center-line.
There are a few old school guys who are still fast hanging way off and keeping their chests over the tank but they are getting fewer every year.
Go to Keith Codes site and I think there are even critiques of positions on the forum.
And one more thing, do as I say not as I do.

YZF1000jon

Comfort flexibility and fitness all play a role too. The more weight you can get inside and lower on the bike the less lean angle is required for the same speed. Or more speed can be used for the same lean angle. Your upper body makes up a significant portion of rider weight and is quite high up, so moving it over can make a huge difference.

I ride with one cheek on the seat, and am slow. The amount of room I have to move around is limited because of my size, and my poor flexibility doesn't help. It becomes a very personal thing, getting pictures taken, or video by someone following can really help. As much as it feels like I'm hanging off like Bodhi, it really looks like I'm out for a sunday cruise.

Mike's advice is solid.