SAG Question

Brown

I was wondering about SAG, and at what point should I look into new springs.

The Problem: On my GSXR 600 K6 I am limited to about 34mm of rider sag when the preload is fully turned in. What do you guys run for a front fork rider sag? is 34mm in the ball park? Or is it time for stiffer springs? I have been slightly concerned because it is not like I am a big heavy guy, 180ish. All my suspension is stock and isnt stock suspension supposed to be stiffer so it doesnt bottom out? So, is it time for stiffer springs? Any help would be awesome! Thanks! Adam

oldskool

Stock springs, front and rear, are usually progressive which means they start getting really stiff while approaching full stroke and may tend to be soft initially. You can never go wrong with good aftermarket springs set for your weight. Cheap to buy, but you will probably need help/tools if you plan to change them yourself.

oldskool

How much of the available fork travel are you using? Ideally you want to damn near bottom out the front forks before turn in on turn 2 (most stock forks won't actually bottom out so if you are down to about an inch or less, you are doing good). If you still have lots of available stroke left you may not want to go with stiffer springs, ofcourse this is also dependant upon your compression settings (too much compression and it will also be hard to use all of your available travel, though turn 2 has a long enough braking zone to still push the oil through with stiff settings).

JDS

34 mm sounds about right, on the front.

Curious, have U ever changed the fork oil?

YZF1000jon

Does the GSXR have top out springs factory? The book I have says no less than 25mm for a racebike, and no less than 30mm for a street bike. The key as mentioned is how much of your travel are you using? Most street stuff is aimed at a 160lb rider but has to accommodate a large range of rider skills/roads/loads, so they're almost always a bit of a compromise. Race tech springs and Ohlins springs aren't very expensive and can be tailored to weight and riding style, although I've found race techs recommended spring rates to be far too hard so find out what others have had success with.

Brown

Thanks guys for all the replys, I am feeling much better about the forks. And I have a better idea of what is normal as well. To answer your questions:

How much of the available fork travel are you using?
I have a 1/2 inch of travel left in the fork
Curious, have U ever changed the fork oil?
Yes, but it is probably time to change the oil again.
Does the GSXR have top out springs factory?
I am not sure what you mean, sorry.

Thanks Again!

YZF1000jon

Some of the newer bikes have small secondary springs that control the travel of the fork on extension right at the top of the stroke. They help smooth the action of the fork at the point where a wheelie begins because your fork is "topped out". They can add 5-10 mm of sag to the bike (bike only static sag) and should be considered in sag calculations, if they're there.