Supermoto tires

Planepower

So, just curious as to whats out there for SM tires. I used Bridgestone last season and was satisfied. Seeing as im running a 4.25" rear rim, running anything larger than 155 tire would give the wrong contact patch.
Im not interested in a street tire unless it is phenomenal.
Currently Dunlop seems to be US racers choice - any word on a dunlop rep here in the forgotten north?

YZF1000jon

Jules is running the Shinko slicks and seems to really like them, price is hard to beat. I tried their race slick and didn't get along with the flat profile (lack of edge grip) on the rear, but different bike and different application. The price made it worth a try.

sand.man

I've only used Dunlop slicks, love them... I'd be interested in trying the Michelin or Dunlop SM slicks though, as the Dunlops I have weren't designed for SM.

Spooner

Does Norm know?

Didn't Norm buy a wack-load of Dunlops? Who did he buy them through? Also, what does Pirelli offer?

~S

Planepower

Didn't Norm buy a wack-load of Dunlops? Who did he buy them through? Also, what does Pirelli offer?

~S

Ive spoke with Clint last month, and Pirelli doesnt have a SM dedicated tire. That leaves Michelin, Continental, and Dunlop. From the research ive been doing Dunlops are the cats ass. And all i can surmise is that there is a dealer in Ontario or would have to ship them from the US.

Dean

I'm on a Marchesini 5.00" rear wheel on my Supermoto, so the Pirelli Supercorsa 160s work just great! Even the Diablo superbike slicks are even better. But if you don't have a wide enough rim to accommodate them, they won't work well.

Planepower

Doug uses a Michelin SM tire. I am sure he will chime in.

To parlez what he would say is;
He uses a 160 tire that changes the profile when installed on a narrow rim. To properly utilize a 160 tire the rim should be 5.00".

What come into play is swingarm / chain clearance to run a wider tire.
Im still using the 4.25" rim, therefore a 150 is optimal.
And i do believe Doug used a sportbike tire or a 250GP tire.

ronin26

Fireman is right, Heiko you're close.

It is the Michelin SM cut slick in a 160. Mich does not make a SM specific full slick. I didn't have an issue with the change in profile but yes on a 4.25 inch rim it's not perfect. Ian ran it on his GP bike but it is the SM slick.

I used all the fronts Michelin has to offer (except SB slick) and the P1V is TITS, with the SM cut slick being my second favorite but they have distinctly different set up characteristics to go fast on both.

Run the Michelin's they're available and really good. Or the P's in 160 DOT's...more people need to take advantage of Clint's offer of set up help if you run them. New gen race DOT's are slicks with a tiny bit of syping.

For chain clearance rim offset and tire shaving happen often in the Ronin pits...

The nice thing in the improper profile change...it gives you a bit of chain clearance when it goes flat on the edges :)

Good luck getting Dunlops, Royce's dad imported the D's that were around last year and who knows where they are racing next year. They're hard to get here because of spec tire racing... I would assume getting SM D's would be next to impossible from a Canadian supplier...I dunno.

Edit: To get the best rubber you're' going to have to fit a 160. I didn't like ANY 150's I tried. Don't be afraid of race DOT's.

Last edited:

Planepower

LOL im NOT afraid!

Seriously, from what ive been researching (maybe im a tad anal), is that DOT superbike tires are Z rated for a bike that weighs over 300lbs and reaches speeds in excess of 120mph, therefore the design is for that application. SM tires are for bikes that have aroung 70hp and weigh in at 220lbs and are H rated.. SM tires warm up quicker and have a different profile for the greater lean angle (in professional series).
I just may have to go with a DOT tire, but it can get a bit expensive playing musical tires. Im sure im not nearly as capable as the tires or bike. Plus we've got a few months before a decison must be made.:rolleyes:

ronin26

You're thinking WAY to much...get a good tire and go fast. When you can't go any faster change something lol.