Track Attack (Novice Group) Questions?

Joe-G

Hey guys!

I'm sure these questions get asked A LOT, but I seem to come across multiple pieces of information and some apply to the track days, some for the race days, etc... and I'm just a bit confused?

I've never been to a motorcycle track day before, and have a few questions if someone has the time to give concise answers? Looking to sign up for the August 2nd event.

I. Safety Gear

What kind of rider/safey gear is required? I understand that I should at least have a M2015 SNELL helmet, gauntlet gloves, boots that cover the ankles (is a Dainese Dyno Pro/similar tall enough?). How about jacket and pants - are full 1 pc leathers (or 2pc zip together), required for the novice track day?

If so, are there any outfits that loan or rent out full setups? I'm not sure if I want to invest in a full suit yet if this is something that I may or may not attend on a regular basis? I'd at least like to try it out first.

II. Licensing & EMRA Membership

Do I need a race license for a track day/novice group? Additionally, do i need to purchase the EMRA membership for the track attack?

Things like a medical checkup, etc... I'm sure thats not required for a novice group track day right?

I read that the novice group gets pace laps to show the lines, but are there any classroom sessions during or other events that provide additional training?

III. Tech Inspection

I think this is pretty straight forward, however my bike is equipped with Pirelli MT 60 RS tyres. Will I be turned away for having a 60/40 type tyre on the track?

Any recommendations on brake fluid as well while we're at it?

I think that sums up most of my questions... show up early, attend the drivers meeting, learn the lines... and maybe bring a jerry can? Sounds like fun hopefully... :)

ehagar

I think this thread should answer most of your questions:

http://www.emra.ca/forums/index.php?threads/2019-motorcycle-track-attacks.4555/

Novice group has two paced sessions where they show you the correct line, track entrance/egress procedures at a relaxed pace.

If you are looking for school/instruction, Ontrack Performance is back, and sessions start as of August 2nd.

The technical requirements aren't as stringent as racing (the idea is to introduce a wider audience to the track), but you do owe it to yourself to make sure your bike and riding gear are in good condition. Take a look over the bike and make sure there are NO fluid leaks and also check critical connections to make sure they are not loose (Front/rear axle bolts, bodywork fastners/bolts. frame slider bolts, chain slack, etc). If you have a K&N oil filter, do yourself a favour and get rid of it. I don't think they are technically banned for track days but they have caused accidents. They are banned from racing.

Bring lots of water/snacks etc too. It can get tiring.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
Hey Joe!

Happy to hear you want to take your riding to the next level! The link posted has lots of information, if there's anything you're unsure about feel free to message me directly through PM on here, or facebook messenger. It can be a bit daunting, but we've set it up to make it easy and fun to learn what the track is all about.

-Jeff

Ducbert

Let me try to answer some of your questions as I still remember my first track days, same as you i had a million questions and was not sure. So here goes...

I. Safety Gear

-Answered in the link provided.

-Always remember, coverage and safety is your #1 priority and live by these words: "I'd rather sweat then bleed"

-You don't want to show up in a wife beater, jeans and flip flops.

II. Licensing & EMRA Membership

Do I need a race license for a track day/novice group?
-No race license.

Additionally, do i need to purchase the EMRA membership for the track attack?
-Yes you need a membership

Things like a medical checkup, etc... I'm sure thats not required for a novice group track day right?
-No checkup required but seeing a shrink may help give you insight on why you want to ride with a bunch of hooligans.

I read that the novice group gets pace laps to show the lines, but are there any classroom sessions during or other events that provide additional training?
-No classroom. You are paced for your first two sessions, meaning follow the leader for about 6-8 laps total to get a "feel" for it. If you want more classroom type of feel there is a race school in the spring and OTP (on track performance) does sessions.

III. Tech Inspection

I think this is pretty straight forward, however my bike is equipped with Pirelli MT 60 RS tyres. Will I be turned away for having a 60/40 type tyre on the track?
-You will not be turned away for having those tires.

Any recommendations on brake fluid as well while we're at it?
-You won't be pushing any kind of pace where this will matter. If you are riding it on the street, then its fine. As long as nothing is "leaking" you won't be turned down.

I think that sums up most of my questions... show up early, attend the drivers meeting, learn the lines... and maybe bring a jerry can?

-If you are not riding your bike there, sure because then you can ride with less weight. Otherwise, not required, I use to ride from my house in Edm, to the track, do a track night then ride home on a tank of gas. Mind you the track was north at Fort Sask b4. I think its still possible if you filled before the track attack as there are stations near Castrol.

Hope this helps.....

electrobiker86

First track day, the smile returns just thinking about it. :)

Great advice from some really good racers, and the links above I think have answered all your questions.

Some take it or leave it advice / observations:

If it is in your budget, take the OTP course from Fireman, no one regrets it.
Breathe and relax, repeat until the nerves calm. Sounds strange, but even after a few years I still have to focus on that to keep the adrenaline at bay and stay loose on the track.
For me anyways, it is tough to stay hydrated, I always have to remember to stay on top of water intake. That being said, I sweat just putting on the leathers, so not an issue for everyone.
Bring food, if the weather is questionable and the drag track doesn't run or closes, typically the food concession closes too.
Track attack goes rain or shine, prepared for wet?
If you are going to ride to the track, watch your energy level for the trip home, many get exhausted.
If you are going to haul your bike, remember to bring the key...
I usually bring some cash; racers are selling tires and parts all the time, Neil from Freight Train Racing has parts and goodies for sale, everyone likes cash.
Registration for track attacks is on the right side (when driving in) of the paddock, at the far side of the South grandstand in the office trailer structure, between the road course and drag strip. It is not easy to see from the paddock.

Have fun!

Last edited:

budoka

Sunday was a bit like a rookie day again for me too. I first bought a membership a couple years back, but never had the chance to attend a Track Attack or a race weekend. I had ridden with HardNox for the previous 4 years but never with EMRA. Not posting to provide comparison, both groups do basically the same thing: promote safer riding in a manner that better suits our sport bikes than being a Hoon out on public roads. No tickets to be written, but there are rules for your safety and the other riders you share the track with. I did have a very positive experience on Sunday and having previously met many of the gang at the other outings as well, much of it was "old hat" in spite of being a first timer with EMRA. After missing pretty much a full season, it was great to run novice and get some pointers to help brush off the dust and get my head back in sync with track riding. The instructors were nothing short of awesome those first two sessions and very helpful and conscious of what we were (or weren't) doing. My intent was to race novice last season but a nasty set me back in late 2017 and it took me most of last year to get my confidence back. Next year if I have the chance to do another race clinic with OTP I just may get the chance at novice racing before these old bones tell me no dice. Thanks to the exec and workers who did such a great job, I have two very solid groups to run with when work, daily life, and the calendar allows. Hope to see you all again real soon!
Oh, and thanks to my two new pit pals from even farther north than myself, hope the journey home was uneventful and no snow to contend with; btw that BBQ sausage was incredible!
Daryl