2023 Rule change discussion

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Ok, it's that time of year! We all put our heads together and think of ways to make the racing in this club even better for everyone by proposing and discussing rule changes. The proposals here will be brought to the AGM, discussed again and voted on there.

A few important notes and suggestions for this thread:
- PLEASE keep all the proposals and comments positive and constructive.
- Please make sure your proposals are informed. Ask yourself, do we have this rule and how can it be implemented.
- Please make sure your proposals are clear. Use all your words, use specific and quantifiable examples whenever possible.
- Please avoid making rule changes that only benefit you, or take away all your nearest competition.
- The EMRA has been around for over 20 years now, built on fair exciting racing. The rules have evolved over the years and most succesful new rule changes are more evolution of existing rules than revolution of totally new ones.

I think we have a great club. I can't wait to see what members have in mind.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I've got a few rule changes I would like to see. My goal for these changes is to put more bikes on grids and align our technical rules a little closer with other clubs.

Rule 5.3. Lightweight Open class. This class is currently open to "up to 390cc single cylinder bikes and up to 325cc twin cylinder bikes". I would like to see this changed to "up to 400cc twin cylinder bikes". This would align our rules closer to the WMRC and WCCS Lightweight Supersport class, and put more bikes on the Lightweight Open grid. In simple terms this would allow a Kawi 400 on the Lightweight Open grid.

Rule 5.5 Lightweight Superbike class. This class is currently open to "2 cylinder motorcycles up to 699cc". I would like to see this changed to "2 cylinder motorcycles up to 500cc". This would again align us closer to the WMRC. The gap a 600cc+ bike makes over other lightweight smaller displacement bikes in this class is very obvious on the straight aways. Just looking at the race results from Stratotech to Rad Torque paints a clear picture that these larger displacement bikes gain a clear advantage and are better suited in another class.

Now since I don't want to see any bikes taken off grids and that is what my previous Lightweight Superbike rule chnage proposal would do; I would also like to add we create a "Super Twins" class, Single and 2 cylinder motorcycles 500cc-699cc. The base concept will see the Super Twins Class feature as a class within the Lightweight Superbike class battle, where they will started on the same grid, but be scored separately. At present, five bikes that are set to be eligible for this class are: Aprilia RS 660, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Suzuki SV 650, Yamaha R7, Yamaha FZ7. We have already seen these bikes racing on EMRA grids in numbers that would make this an EMRA 'Trophy class.'

Our Lightweight grids have grown. The lightweight Superbike race is now the second largest grid. In the past, larger displacement twin cylinder bikes were allowed on the grids to aid lightweight grid sizes. This is no longer needed. In that time bike manufacturers have revived the twin cylinder category. The R7 and RS660 for example. We have started racing at a new track that welcomes lightweight bikes and we have grown and become closer to our neighbours in the WMRC, a club full of lightweights and twins. Now seems to be a perfect time to tweak our lightweight/twins rules to allow more bikes, level our playing field and make it easier for riders from other clubs to fit in.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I'd like to change the team championship rule, currently it reads:

Team Championship - This championship consists of 4 riders per team. Riders may only be on one team.
Team points are the combined total of each rider's three best point results from each round; and the team with the
highest combined point total will be awarded a custom team trophy at the year end banquet. Points are awarded to
the rider, not the bike; riding two bikes in different classes can carn additional points for that rider. There are no
limitations on bikes or race entries. To enter, you must register with one of the EMRA Executive prior to Round 1
and pay an $80 (per team) entry fee.

I'd like to propose we change it to read:

Team Championship - This championship consists of up to 4 riders per team. Riders may only be on one team.
Team points are the combined total of each rider's total overall point results from each round; and the team with the
highest combined point total will be awarded a custom team trophy at the year end banquet. Points are awarded to
the rider, not the bike; riding two bikes in different classes can earn additional points for that rider. There are no
limitations on bikes or race entries. To enter, you must register with one of the EMRA Executive prior to Round 1
and pay an $80 (per team) entry fee.

The idea behind this is that we want to encourage more bikes on the grid doing more races. If we limit it to your 3 best finishes there is no incentive to do more races than three. If a team of prize stallions want to do 4, 5 or 6 races a day to bank points towards the TC then they can do that. Whereas the current 2022 rule makes that somewhat pointless.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Currently the #1 plate holder gets to collect free race fees in the following year after winning the Superbike championship. If I am on the exec next year I'd like to propose that since executives get free race fees that the winner of the Superbike championship can alternatively give away their free race fees to another rider if they want. Not 100% sure if that should be a rule for the book or more of a procedure thing the exec can determine with bylaws or whatever but I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

I don't exactly want to give up the VP position as long as I am still living here, so if I am getting free fees anyways it would be cool to give them away to some other racer(s).

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I am proposing a small change to our Superpole qualifying session. I would like to see the Superpole session be more important, and more similar to MotoGP.

Current rule:
74. Superpole: In the last rotation of qualifying, the final session (for the group of fastest riders) shall be divided into Q1, and Q2: Superpole session. Q1 is for the fastest group of riders who do not qualify for Q2 Superpole. Riders in Q1 may not participate in Q2 Superpole. Q2 Superpole participation is limited to the 10 riders with the fastest lap times of the day. Each Q2 Superpole participant must also be registered for Dash for Cash and at least one Superbike race.

Edit to add:
The rankings from the Q2 Superpole session will be used to set the grid positions at the front of the Dash for Cash and Expert Superbike races. (e.g. if rider A sets a time faster than rider B in Q2 Superpole, rider A will be gridded in front of rider B, even if rider B set a faster time than rider A earlier in the day.)

The idea here is that riders who participate in Q2 Superpole will be gridded at the front of Dash for Cash and Expert Superbike, ignoring their times set for the rest of the day. This makes it closer to MotoGP where you qualify to get into Q2, and then the results of Q2 set the grid position.

I have proposed this only affect Dash for Cash and Expert Superbike to try and not add too much complication to our exec member creating the grids.

Logan

I've got a few rule changes I would like to see. My goal for these changes is to put more bikes on grids and align our technical rules a little closer with other clubs.

Rule 5.3. Lightweight Open class. This class is currently open to "up to 390cc single cylinder bikes and up to 325cc twin cylinder bikes". I would like to see this changed to "up to 400cc twin cylinder bikes". This would align our rules closer to the WMRC and WCCS Lightweight Supersport class, and put more bikes on the Lightweight Open grid. In simple terms this would allow a Kawi 400 on the Lightweight Open grid.

Rule 5.5 Lightweight Superbike class. This class is currently open to "2 cylinder motorcycles up to 699cc". I would like to see this changed to "2 cylinder motorcycles up to 500cc". This would again align us closer to the WMRC. The gap a 600cc+ bike makes over other lightweight smaller displacement bikes in this class is very obvious on the straight aways. Just looking at the race results from Stratotech to Rad Torque paints a clear picture that these larger displacement bikes gain a clear advantage and are better suited in another class.

Now since I don't want to see any bikes taken off grids and that is what my previous Lightweight Superbike rule chnage proposal would do; I would also like to add we create a "Super Twins" class, Single and 2 cylinder motorcycles 500cc-699cc. The base concept will see the Super Twins Class feature as a class within the Lightweight Superbike class battle, where they will started on the same grid, but be scored separately. At present, five bikes that are set to be eligible for this class are: Aprilia RS 660, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Suzuki SV 650, Yamaha R7, Yamaha FZ7. We have already seen these bikes racing on EMRA grids in numbers that would make this an EMRA 'Trophy class.'

Our Lightweight grids have grown. The lightweight Superbike race is now the second largest grid. In the past, larger displacement twin cylinder bikes were allowed on the grids to aid lightweight grid sizes. This is no longer needed. In that time bike manufacturers have revived the twin cylinder category. The R7 and RS660 for example. We have started racing at a new track that welcomes lightweight bikes and we have grown and become closer to our neighbours in the WMRC, a club full of lightweights and twins. Now seems to be a perfect time to tweak our lightweight/twins rules to allow more bikes, level our playing field and make it easier for riders from other clu

Our Lightweight grids have grown. The lightweight Superbike race is now the second largest grid. In the past, larger displacement twin cylinder bikes were allowed on the grids to aid lightweight grid sizes. This is no longer needed. In that time bike manufacturers have revived the twin cylinder category. The R7 and RS660 for example. We have started racing at a new track that welcomes lightweight bikes and we have grown and become closer to our neighbours in the WMRC, a club full of lightweights and twins. Now seems to be a perfect time to tweak our lightweight/twins rules to allow more bikes, level our playing field and make it easier for riders from other clubs to fit in.
Still can't put Superbike and Middleweight in the same sentence eh Jon? LMAO!

I agree though!

Potato

Currently the #1 plate holder gets to collect free race fees in the following year after winning the Superbike championship. If I am on the exec next year I'd like to propose that since executives get free race fees that the winner of the Superbike championship can alternatively give away their free race fees to another rider if they want. Not 100% sure if that should be a rule for the book or more of a procedure thing the exec can determine with bylaws or whatever but I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

I don't exactly want to give up the VP position as long as I am still living here, so if I am getting free fees anyways it would be cool to give them away to some other racer(s).
I'd have to vote this one down. YOU earned this as the Blue Plate holder and should be the only person who reaps the benefits.

Matt Stokes

I would support this, provided the give away was done by a random draw each race weekend at the rider's meeting. That would be a good way to ensure it was fair and would bring a bit of excitement to the rider's meeting.

Matt

Framer

I like the idea for a super middleweight class. Even though 1st and 3rd place tropheys in LTW SBK went to R3s this year, it does seem strange to have esentially a 700 racing against CBR300s and such. Is the proposal that MWT bikes would qualify and be gridded with LTW SBK? So the racing wouldn't change, just the point distribtion?

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I like the idea for a super middleweight class. Even though 1st and 3rd place tropheys in LTW SBK went to R3s this year, it does seem strange to have esentially a 700 racing against CBR300s and such. Is the proposal that MWT bikes would qualify and be gridded with LTW SBK? So the racing wouldn't change, just the point distribtion?
That's my thought, keep the racing on track the same, because it is great and fun. But distribute points in a way that aligns with other clubs and sets us up nicely for the future.

GrahamL

Administrator

I disagree with this. As the number one plate holder it is you that have earned the reward for that title. I don't think these should be transferable.

GrahamL

Administrator

I also think we need to update the lightweight rules to fall in line with other clubs. With the growth of Lightweight over the last few years I think it's important to keep the class growing and competitive. This being said. I propose the following language changes with Lightweight Open and Lightweight Superbike.

-----

Lightweight open currently reads:

5.3 Sportbike Classes
Lightweight Open
- Open to all intermediate and expert racers
- Single-cylinder motorcycles up to 390cc
- Twin-cylinder motorcycles up to 325cc
- Motorcycles must comply with 5.2 Technical Specifications - Sportbike

Proposed Change

5.3 Sportbike Classes
Lightweight Sportbike
- Single cylinder, 4-stroke motorcycles up to 390cc
- Twin-cylinder, 4-stroke motorcycles up to 400cc
- 2018 and newer Kawasaki 400 motorcycles are allowed under the following restrictions
- Stock air intake snorkel must remain in place and be unmodified. No other intake modifications are permitted
- Motorcycles must comply with 5.2 Technical Specifications - Sportbike

Lightweight Superbike currently reads:

5.5 Superbike Classes
Lightweight Superbike
- 3 or more cylinder motorcycles up to 420cc
- 2-cylinder motorcycles up to 699cc
- Single-cylinder motorcycles of unlimited displacment
- Gridding will be determined by lap times (as recorded by the EMRA timing system). The fastest lap will be gridded first and so on.
- If there is no practice day, gridding will be by points collected in Lightweight Superbike throughout the year.
- Motorcycles must comply with 5.4 Technical Specifications - Superbike

Proposed Changes:

5.5 Superbike Classes
Lightweight Superbike
- Twin and Single cylinder, 4-stroke motorcycles up to 500cc
- Three or more cylinder 4-stroke motorcycles up to 400cc
- Twin and Single cylinder 2-stroke motorcycles up to 250cc
- Gridding will be determined by lap times (as recorded by the EMRA timing system). The fastest lap will be gridded first and so on.
- If there is no practice day, gridding will be by points collected in Lightweight Superbike throughout the year.
- Motorcycles must comply with 5.4 Technical Specifications - Superbike

I think this will take into account the need for wording for the new ZX4R and ZX250R if we were ever to see them.

I also agree with Jon's post regarding Middleweight bikes. Separating them into their own grid / race class won't change the number of races the middleweight bikes are eligible for but will separate the points into the appropriate classes. I like Jon's idea for the new Middleweight class and I think it should be a waved start with the Lightweight Superbike class second.

Scotia

Sportsman is currently open to any motorcycle ten years of age or older. Considering the significant advancements made in 2010, and the evident progression every year thereafter, I propose that the parameters in which to enter be redefined, as to retain the original ethos of the class. I.e: capped at 2009 or ‘10, instead. Otherwise, the class might as well be renamed “Superbike 2.0”; a problem that will only compound with each passing year - steadily drifting further from initial purpose.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I also think we need to update the lightweight rules to fall in line with other clubs. With the growth of Lightweight over the last few years I think it's important to keep the class growing and competitive.

I also agree with Jon's post regarding Middleweight bikes. Separating them into their own grid / race class won't change the number of races the middleweight bikes are eligible for but will separate the points into the appropriate classes. I like Jon's idea for the new Middleweight class and I think it should be a waved start with the Lightweight Superbike class second.
I wouldn't argue with any of that, I will say there are a number of individual rule changes that would need to take place, so the voting will be long and difficult at the AGM. For example, I don't think we need the wording "If there is no practice day, gridding will be by points collected in Lightweight Superbike throughout the year." because why wouldn't there be a practice day?

Personally I'd rather see a normal start, NOT waved. Keeps the racing closer and as good as it was this year. It was a ton of fun having such a mix of bikes in the race, with their strengths and weaknesses on different parts of the track making it so much fun. Keeps guys like Jaydel, Paul, and Gary in my sights mwahaha. If they had a two to three corner lead, they would be as good as gone on both tracks.

Framer

Personally I'd rather see a normal start, NOT waved. Keeps the racing closer and as good as it was this year. It was a ton of fun having such a mix of bikes in the race, with their strengths and weaknesses on different parts of the track making it so much fun. Keeps guys like Jaydel, Paul, and Gary in my sights mwahaha. If they had a two to three corner lead, they would be as good as gone on both tracks.
That's the spirit!

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I would also prefer to see a normal start, NOT a waved start.
The Lightweight SBK race is the only race on the schedule where the twins and lightweights race against each other, and it's been some of my favourite racing over the years.

Matt Stokes

RE: Lightweight rule changes. I agree with Jon and Graham that it's time to update these rules. You will recall that I proposed these rules changes a few years ago, and maybe it wasn't the right time. But now the time seems right.

RE: whether to do a waved start for the LW Superbike/Middleweight Superbike race - please recall the reason we implemented a waved start for the LW Open/Middleweight Twins race. There are two separate races happening on the track. When we had one start for LW Open/Middleweight Twins, the slower Middleweight Twins bikes have the potential to significantly influence the results of the LW Open race. The waved start was implemented to make both races fair, and give a bit of separation at the leading edge of both races on the opening lap or two.

For the LW Superbike/Middleweight Superbike race, I understand the nostalgia and fun of having a bunch of bikes racing close together. But if we are making this rule change, there are two races happening on the track, and it's not really fair to start them at the same time. If we adhere to the EMRA mission statement of providing safe, fair and equal opportunities for racing, we need to wave this start. After a lap or two, the pack comes together. The waved start makes the first lap or two safer, and more fair for the leading edge of both races.

It's the reason we did it in LW Open/Middleweight Twins. And lets be honest, it is the exact same set of bikes on the LW Open/Middleweight Twins as it will be on the LW Superbike/Middleweight Superbike grid.

Matt

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
The waved start was implemented to make both races fair, and give a bit of separation at the leading edge of both races on the opening lap or two.

It's the reason we did it in LW Open/Middleweight Twins. And lets be honest, it is the exact same set of bikes on the LW Open/Middleweight Twins as it will be on the LW Superbike/Middleweight Superbike grid.

That's not true. Middleweight Twins and Lightweight Open were made a waved start because we decided to make all split grids a waved start. This happened after there was confusion in Women's Open about being a waved start or not behind F112 (it went back and forth that year). At the AGM that year it was proposed to make all split grids a waved start so that we are consistent for all races.

RE: Fairness
What is unfair about having a both races start together? Especially now that Lightweight SBK is gridded based on times (and not points), everyone has the same opportunity to set their grid position, and everyone has to pass bikes in front of them (larger or smaller). There is nothing inherently unfair about it, though I can see how it feels that way when you get held up by a bike, while the guy you're battling with gets a clean pass. But this happens in all our races, either at the start of the race or with lap traffic. Just ask Brian Worsdall and Eric Russnak about it.

RE: Safety
If having both races start together is unsafe because of the number of bikes, then we should have a hard cap on the number of bikes on track. Specifically targeting this race doesn't make sense.
There was a push to make Lightweight SBK a waved start behind Sportsman (when that was still a combined grid) because of the overall grid size. At the time it was by far the largest grid with the last few Lightweight bikes gridding on spots hastily drawn in with chalk that morning.

The best thing we could do to improve safety would be to maintain grid positions by starting time; mixing both races together on the grid. That way the fastest riders start at the front of the grid, and don't have to make aggressive passes early.

Matt Stokes

That's not true. Middleweight Twins and Lightweight Open were made a waved start because we decided to make all split grids a waved start. This happened after there was confusion in Women's Open about being a waved start or not behind F112 (it went back and forth that year). At the AGM that year it was proposed to make all split grids a waved start so that we are consistent for all races.

RE: Fairness
What is unfair about having a both races start together? Especially now that Lightweight SBK is gridded based on times (and not points), everyone has the same opportunity to set their grid position, and everyone has to pass bikes in front of them (larger or smaller). There is nothing inherently unfair about it, though I can see how it feels that way when you get held up by a bike, while the guy you're battling with gets a clean pass. But this happens in all our races, either at the start of the race or with lap traffic. Just ask Brian Worsdall and Eric Russnak about it.

RE: Safety
If having both races start together is unsafe because of the number of bikes, then we should have a hard cap on the number of bikes on track. Specifically targeting this race doesn't make sense.
There was a push to make Lightweight SBK a waved start behind Sportsman (when that was still a combined grid) because of the overall grid size. At the time it was by far the largest grid with the last few Lightweight bikes gridding on spots hastily drawn in with chalk that morning.

The best thing we could do to improve safety would be to maintain grid positions by starting time; mixing both races together on the grid. That way the fastest riders start at the front of the grid, and don't have to make aggressive passes early.
Thanks for your input Steve. I appreciate it very much.

It is my opinion that waved starts are more fair and safer when two separate races are on the same grid. I'd appreciate some other experienced races/Exec to provide additional input this. The club members can vote on it.

RE: the first line of your comments above ("Middleweight Twins and Lightweight Open were made a waved start because we decided to make all split grids a waved start"). If this is correct, then LW Superbike/Middleweight Superbike should also be a waved start.

Matt

John Laing

I am proposing a small change to our Superpole qualifying session. I would like to see the Superpole session be more important, and more similar to MotoGP.

Current rule:

Edit to add:

The idea here is that riders who participate in Q2 Superpole will be gridded at the front of Dash for Cash and Expert Superbike, ignoring their times set for the rest of the day. This makes it closer to MotoGP where you qualify to get into Q2, and then the results of Q2 set the grid position.

I have proposed this only affect Dash for Cash and Expert Superbike to try and not add too much complication to our exec member creating the grids.
Very much in favor of this change.