2019 Rule Change Discussion

blam

Administrator
I don't have any standing re: voting or membership, but wondered if I might attend the AGM as an observer?

Would be useful as a volunteer to see what the primary concerns of the racers and executive are, and how we can make things go smoothly on race day.
yes. but as you said, you wont be able to vote is all.

toybm

Novice should stay novice for a whole year so they can acquire skills they need and been more safe-4 race isn't enough. And it would keep the Intermediate class of been jam pack with 10-20 more novice steeping up. The Expert class is ( sorry to say that ) getting boring having only 6 racers on the expert superbike race...you need to promote more intermediate to expert class... been expert doesn't necessarily means been fast ( i believe your criteria of promotions is based on lap time ) it means being able to pass, getting pass and being safe.

I agree with Dom on changing the Novice 4 race promotion scheme.

I would also like to comment on Castrol track management, but as was suggested this may not be the thread. However, we're customers of Castrol and no action by them, especially relating to track safety, is plainly not acceptable.

They call me Komo

also, for my sanity, I would like a rule on transponders

Transponder functionality is the responsibility of the rider. if it fails to ping, you dont get a finish unless:
1) the person in front of you AND behind you can verify your position - all 3 must be present at the time of the protest, OR
2) it can be verified by a worker(Exec or volunteer) in the tower. protests MUST be made within X minutes of the posted results in the tent.

the reasoning behind this is A) its a royal pain in the ass chasing people to find out where someone placed and B) updating the results over and over and over is also a pain in the ass.

for reference, this rule is still pretty slack compared to say WERA's rules with the associated fines.
All riders/teams must use an AMB Tran-X 260/MyLaps Bike or or X2 transponder for scoring purposes in all series. The transponder must be mounted vertically on the left front fork leg in a manner so that the numbers are readable. Do not mount the transponder horizontally in the front fairing - the signal strength drops to an unacceptable level and you may not be scored every lap. Any laps missed due to an improperly mounted transponder will NOT be reinstated. It is the riders responsibility to make sure their transponder is on the bike and functioning properly during qualifying and racing. If a transponder is verified to be mounted and is not functioning during a race the rider will be allowed to choose between a disqualification or a $50 fine. If the transponder is not on the machine or the rider cannot prove a verified working transponder was on the machine the choice is a $100 fine or disqualification. WERA will have the scoring system running during practice and will print lap times to allow riders to verify their transponder is working. WERA will have transponders for rent. Rental fees will be $60 for the event. Any transponder not returned to the WERA office within one week after the event and lost transponders will result in the rider/team being charged the going rate for a new transponder. This charge will not be refunded. Transponders cannot be used by more than one rider per any given weekend.

this is the rule at UMC
All motorcycles must carry a functioning transponder at all times while on the track, including practice. Failure to do so WILL result in being pulled from the track, loss of grid position or disqualification at the discretion of UtahSBA officials
I say that you should black flag somebody who is running without a working transponder too. No?

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
If you want to race novice all year you're welcome to do that, but we will pressure you to move up if you are ready... and if we didn't, the quicker and comfortable novice guys/gals would be pressuring us to bump them up anyways... mostly because once you're out there you always want more track time. Packing all your bike/gear up to go for a weekend at the track and only do your two novice races while intermediates are doing 4-6... where's the fun in that? In fact i know many people would START in intermediate if we let them. Novice is the necessary stepping stone to keep them safe and prevent overzealous excited new riders with a lack of skill (but all the confidence) from going out there and crashing their faces off trying to keep up to the quicker people ahead. Speaking from experience, i chucked my shit trying to keep up with Knapik my first year. Whoopsie.

We don't force ANYONE to move up.

Nick_C

It's difficult to identify, confirm, and relay those situations properly from timing to race control, and on to corner 9 (where most black flags happen, because it's the most visible place for them). It takes 2 laps just to confirm the number of the bike with the non-functional transponder, by identifying the other bikes it's running with, and using the process of elimination.

We do try to make this all happen as quickly and smoothly as possible, but it has its challenges.

electrobiker86

I think Formula Thunder is a great place to run a Motard class. There are already 300s and 650s racing in Formula Thunder anyway, so adding the Motards doesn't really add any additional risk. Formula Thunder is also one of the smaller grids during the day, so a few extra Motards on the grid won't make it overly crowded.
Also, as Sean mentioned, the Motards can register for Formula Thunder if they want to regardless; if the club is willing to create an extra class for them to compete against each other, this seems like a logical place to have them race.

I think Tosh demonstrated that Motard can fit in FT, ( I think that is the race where I barely stayed ahead of him) though when I first noted him catching me in 10, I thought someone on a dirt bike made their way onto the track... There is no adding race classes to the existing full schedule, that I can see working anyway; best we can do without deleting a class is subdividing or joining the existing classes.

electrobiker86

It's difficult to identify, confirm, and relay those situations properly from timing to race control, and on to corner 9 (where most black flags happen, because it's the most visible place for them). It takes 2 laps just to confirm the number of the bike with the non-functional transponder, by identifying the other bikes it's running with, and using the process of elimination.

We do try to make this all happen as quickly and smoothly as possible, but it has its challenges.

Not sure why exactly, but corner 9 and tower are the only ones with the black flags... You are correct though, it is not easy to determine a specific non transponder bike, someone has to be carefully watching the line as all bikes pass by.