Helmets

Mantis

Are the helmet regulations gonna b changed for next season?

As per the club rules, riders will be given a 1 year grace period in which to purchase a Snell 2015 helmet.

While it is advised to purchase a new helmet this year, it is not mandatory until the 2017 season

DEFBOY35

As per the club rules, riders will be given a 1 year grace period in which to purchase a Snell 2015 helmet.

While it is advised to purchase a new helmet this year, it is not mandatory until the 2017 season
Te short of it is if you are going to buy a new helmet for te 2016 season do yourself a favor and get the smell 2015 so you don't have to buy a new helmet for 2017

gixxer60_0

Te short of it is if you are going to buy a new helmet for te 2016 season do yourself a favor and get the smell 2015 so you don't have to buy a new helmet for 2017

With the new Snell 2015 M2015 regulations. What about ECE22-05 regulations. From what I understand they are still in effect. If I have ECE22-05 helmet would it be still eligible for the 2017 season?
Thanks

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Just an FYI to everyone. At the AGM meeting December 2nd in which we encourage everyone to attend, we will be going over rule changes and the helmet requirements are likely to be included. There is talks that we may change from the Snell rating to a blanket rule of <5 years from manufacturer date.

Please attend the AGM and participate in the voting process. It could mean the difference between having to buy a new helmet or being able to wait a bit. Amongst many other important reasons to be there.

Thanks,

gixxer60_0

I wont be at the AGM. Not to sure of the blanket rating but I guess it your melon and you can protect it cheap or expensive, no matter if it SNELL or ECE or DOT.

S-african

Blanket rule has advantages of keeping things simple and predictable
I'm sure some of the old Snell 2010 helmets are more protective than the new Snell 2015 anyway. Think the club just needs to ensure no new safety measures are overlooked- and from what I've read there aren't any major new changes. It seems it's just something that gets changed on a 5 yearly basis.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Blanket rule has advantages of keeping things simple and predictable
I'm sure some of the old Snell 2010 helmets are more protective than the new Snell 2015 anyway. Think the club just needs to ensure no new safety measures are overlooked- and from what I've read there aren't any major new changes. It seems it's just something that gets changed on a 5 yearly basis.

http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2015/M2015FinalCover.pdf

^^^Explanation on the difference between snell 2010 and snell 2015. Only the testing method has changed, the standards remain the same.

Also from the snell website:

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Difference between snell V DOT V ECE:

http://motorcycle-central.com/motorcycle-helmet-standards-dot-snell-ece/

gixxer60_0

1. Helmet rules – current rule states helmet has to be Snell M2015. New rules proposal is that the helmet must be less than 5 years old to the month, from the date of manufacture and have any one of the current standards of Snell or equivalent.
So what is the new rule then?? Not clear is it 2015 snell less then 5 years old or both ?? or anything goes less then 5 years old. Please clarify. Thanks

gixxer60_0

1. Helmet rules – current rule states helmet has to be Snell M2015. New rules proposal is that the helmet must be less than 5 years old to the month, from the date of manufacture and have any one of the current standards of Snell or equivalent.
So what is the new rule then?? Not clear is it 2015 snell less then 5 years old or both ?? or anything goes less then 5 years old. Please clarify. Thanks

Just read rule book. So I understand 2015 snell or equivalent is new rule.

Dave86

Just read rule book. So I understand 2015 snell or equivalent is new rule.

The rule book has not yet been updated since the AGM.

The helmet can be any of the following standards:

Snell M2010
Snell M2015
Europe: ECE 22.05 P
Great Britain: BS 6658 Type A
Japan: JIS 8133:2007

as long as the manufacture date (sticker inside the helmet) is within the last 5 years, to the month.

rpodgurney

I just recently purchased a new Shoei GT-Air and the only sticker I can found in regards to safety is the DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified and on the inside of the helmet it was inspected in October 2013. Does this meet the equivalent requirements?

Mantis

I just recently purchased a new Shoei GT-Air and the only sticker I can found in regards to safety is the DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified and on the inside of the helmet it was inspected in October 2013. Does this meet the equivalent requirements?
I will let club exec be the final judge, but my understanding is that the Gt Air is not admissible as a race helmet due to the inner tinted visor

DEFBOY35

My thought would be if it does not have one of the standards David listed above no matter the date it will not pass tech.

Dave86

Shane and Ryan are correct, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the GT Air will not pass tech as it is only DOT rated, so most racing organizations won't allow it, including the EMRA.