Mentorship

blitzgt3

I was reading up on the proposed rule changes and the discussions regarding Novice riders moving up to Intermediate, and possibly having a mentor to help them improve on track, and I was thinking that would be a huge help to me. I took race school in 2017 with a Ninja 250, then upgraded to a Honda RC-51 for 2018, stayed in Novice to get used to the bigger bike, then moved to Intermediate in 2019. I didn't race in 2020 because, well, life, but now I have a new bike, a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, and am very excited to get back out there.

I am hoping to take an OTP course this year if time and finances allow, but I also feel like having someone to do a few practice laps with could really help as well. My current best time at Castrol is a 1:39:158.

Thanks everyone for your consideration, and any other advice would be welcomed as well! Can't wait to see you all back out there!

Cody

Framer

Hey Cody,
Asking a few experts to slow down and let me follow them around Stratotech last season helped me a lot. Everyone I asked was more than willing to spend most of a whole practice session showing me their line and it allowed me to learn break and tip in points. For me, spending 4 or 5 laps following an expert gave me a lot to work on the rest of the day. I'm still slow, but not as slow as I was.
Good luck!
Paul

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I can’t say enough about taking OTP (OnTrack Performance) riding schools. That’s where I learned my skills and it really pays dividends. Seriously, check out OTP schools.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I was reading up on the proposed rule changes and the discussions regarding Novice riders moving up to Intermediate, and possibly having a mentor to help them improve on track, and I was thinking that would be a huge help to me. I took race school in 2017 with a Ninja 250, then upgraded to a Honda RC-51 for 2018, stayed in Novice to get used to the bigger bike, then moved to Intermediate in 2019. I didn't race in 2020 because, well, life, but now I have a new bike, a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, and am very excited to get back out there.

I am hoping to take an OTP course this year if time and finances allow, but I also feel like having someone to do a few practice laps with could really help as well. My current best time at Castrol is a 1:39:158.

Thanks everyone for your consideration, and any other advice would be welcomed as well! Can't wait to see you all back out there!

Cody

Just one quick observation, switching bikes like you have sure makes things harder. I rode a 600 for like 5 years, made a switch to a 1000 and holy, what a learning experience.

It is a little harder finding an expert on track to let you follow them around on a race weekend. There's more rules, greater speeds and competition. Track days are definitely the best time for this. Lucky for all of us there is no shortage of those at both track this summer. EMRA will be having a mid season test and tune st Stratotech July 17, if I were a racer looking to make serious improvements that would be the date for it, it also happens to be the weekend before a double header at the same track.

If track day fees are a concern give the guys at Motorheads a shout, www.motorheadsta.com . They will be looking for volunteers to help them out on their days. They will be paying volunteers with free track time for their future events.

Matt Stokes

Just a suggestion - Perhaps it makes sense for the EMRA to compile and post a list of Experts or advanced Intermediates who would be willing to be a mentor to a Novice or recently graduated Intermediate. This might be more effective than suggesting that Novices go around the pits and ask for help. The list would contain names of people who volunteered to mentor, so the Novices know in advance that these people are willing to help. Name, contact info, bike size.