Oil Alternatives

Ducbert

I want to change my oil however I do want to pay the ridiculous amount of $25/l at some of the dealership's for oil for 1098-Ducati. Suggestions on what to get and where, in a full synthetic?

Juan42

Amsoil makes a motorcycle specific 4 stroke full synthetic oil which I believe is about half that price. Not sure on specs it meets though, or what Ducati recommends, Jaso MA?? I recall Canadian Tire used to sell it.
You could try a petroleum/extra virgin olive oil blend...:D

YZF1000jon

If the Duc is still dry clutch your options are much greater. JASO MA rating is ideal for wet clutch applications which may not be the case for you (it isn't for the Duc in our garage). Motorcycle transmissions are still hard on oil as the shear rates may be higher than automotive applications. We have been very happy with amsoil, bike shops may actually be cheaper than canadian tire, the local shop has 20/50 for $55 for a one gallon jug. Motul full synth is good (smells nice too), and Bel-Ray full synth and semi is also good stuff.

Fireman

Echo Cycle carries the Maxima full synthetic. It is what I have used in all of my bikes for the last 4/5 years. I trust it. I have never had any failures due to lubrication.

My Failures are due to rider error instead! lol