Public Statement

Ducbert

I am NOT affiliated with any organization or individual other than the EMRA. The following statements are mine and only mine, I am not speaking on behalf of the exec or any member.

I do NOT disagree with any company supplying track attack day services. I disagree with the owner/operators of a private company being members of the executive offering the same or similar services. I disagree with any executive member of the EMRA having a conflict of interest and remaining on said board. A conflict such as this puts the EMRA in a position where it could lose its "Not for Profit" status. I have spoken with both the Registries and Alberta Gov't on this matter and I was surprised to understand that it is not within the governments protocol to chase this, but it could happen if an outside source initiated it.

Furthermore, I wanted to understand what had happened in the last year (2019) that lead to the expulsion of one of our members. I had reached out to the EMRA's insurance company to try to understand this better. I can provide copies of those emails for reference.

Below are two direct quotes from those emails:

HI Norbert

There are no issues moving forward with Rob Darlington.

The letter was from their lawyer sent to the club. It was a notice from the families lawyer. Nothing that I am aware of came from their letter.

####################################################################

HI Norbert

As mentioned yesterday, this is not an insurance issue. You can discuss with the membership if that works.

As for specifics, the general feeling is you do not allow a claimant to utilize your business while they are a claimant. I am not sure of the process the board went thru when the letter came in. it is now history.

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

To clarify the one point there from the insurance. it wasn’t hardnox’s lawyer sending the letter to the club. They were simply listed as another party that the lawyer was possibly looking for information from.
hardnox has put out an email yesterday with an official statement in regards to these matters and the false accusations over the past 2 seasons that they were involved with pushing through a lawsuit.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I am NOT affiliated with any organization...

yeah we know this, that’s why we added it to the meeting minutes after it was discovered that nobody ended up following through on the lawsuit that we were threatened with. All good now with that. We were just listening to our insurance and lawyers advice as you perfectly quoted for me “the general feeling is you do not allow a claimant to utilize your businesswhile they are a claimant.“

Last edited:

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I can say the EMRA is a fantastic club full of incredible, hard working, honest members, passionate about riding and racing motorcycles. I've had the pleasure of being part of this club for 17 years now. In that time it has grown and grown and will continue to do so. Myself and many other members have poured countless hours into making it the fun friendly place it is. It truly is a labour of love for all of us.

Just like anything I don't expecting everyone to get along all the time. But it is truly heart breaking to see what great lengths some people will go to to discredit, divide, and shame, the hard work of others. I'd like everyone to know I don't take my roll in the club lightly. I don’t think I have ever made a decision I didn't think was in the best interests of the club. I will continue to do so anyway I can for the EMRA. Your support and understanding be it out spoken or quietly confident is greatly appreciated.

DEFBOY35

yeah we know this, that’s why we added it to the meeting minutes after it was discovered that nobody ended up following through on the lawsuit that we were threatened with. All good now with that. We were just listening to our insurance and lawyers advice as you perfectly quoted for me “the general feeling is you do not allow a claimant to utilize your businesswhile they are a claimant.“
Brian. In all fairness the meeting minutes do not accurately reflect what was actually said in the meeting and still somewhat insinuate that hx was part of a pending lawsuit. Which they were not.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
I am NOT affiliated with any organization or individual other than the EMRA. The following statements are mine and only mine, I am not speaking on behalf of the exec or any member.

I do NOT disagree with any company supplying track attack day services. I disagree with the owner/operators of a private company being members of the executive offering the same or similar services. I disagree with any executive member of the EMRA having a conflict of interest and remaining on said board. A conflict such as this puts the EMRA in a position where it could lose its "Not for Profit" status. I have spoken with both the Registries and Alberta Gov't on this matter and I was surprised to understand that it is not within the governments protocol to chase this, but it could happen if an outside source initiated it.

Speaking of conflict of interest, your main job (Almost only one) on the EMRA exec has been to run track days when the EMRA puts them on. You are then financially reimbursed for said work with free race fees and riding for free on those track days. Legally speaking, both your campaign and you being involved in the discussions and decisions for whether the EMRA will continue to run their own track days or not is a conflict of interest...........

the_fornicator

Speaking of conflict of interest, your main job (Almost only one) on the EMRA exec has been to run track days when the EMRA puts them on. You are then financially reimbursed for said work with free race fees and riding for free on those track days. Legally speaking, both your campaign and you being involved in the discussions and decisions for whether the EMRA will continue to run their own track days or not is a conflict of interest...........

giphy.gif

Goatse

it is truly heart breaking to see what great lengths some people will go to to discredit, divide, and shame, the hard work of others.

My thoughts exactly as I read the original post of this thread.

The EMRA has always been a great club, run by great people. It's too bad somebody is trying to change that.

Of all past Presidents of the club, I think every single one of them has far too much class (and sense) to create a thread like this one.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Brian. In all fairness the meeting minutes do not accurately reflect what was actually said in the meeting and still somewhat insinuate that hx was part of a pending lawsuit. Which they were not.

yeah again, we acknowledge that the meeting minutes don’t have some specific details and some additional information about club progress has been requested. I’ve said numerous times since summer that I’m putting forth the motion to send out an EMRA newsletter every 5-6 weeks or so throughout the next season for the members. I have heard the requests and acknowledge them, you yourself said it was a good idea to proceed forward with that. Also we recently voted in a motion that all exec needs to approve of meeting minutes within a few days so that should help hold us accountable to better details in the minutes. Look at the last minutes compared to the ones before, you can see progress already right? I don’t know what the fuss is about, we’ve literally put the motions in place to do what you’re asking for, for the 2021 season.

As far as the legal action goes, we didn’t insinuate anything. We clearly said that nothing came about the potential lawsuit, so we’ve been told we can let things go and got clearance from the club insurance and lawyers. Again, not sure what the fuss is about, we can’t go against our teams advice. In my opinion it’s great news that nobody wanted to proceed with legal action towards the club, nobody wants to lose a friend and it doesn’t bring him back nor does it bring the motorcycle community any closer. In fact, even the threat of legal action has created division within this great community, we don’t need that. We should all be pals. Let’s race.

Matt Stokes

In advance of the upcoming AGM, can EMRA members be informed about which of the current EMRA Board Members have a financial interest in any private track day companies? A financial interest would be items such as legal or beneficial ownership, director, officer, employee or receiving any other form of remuneration. Basically, who is involved?

I would suggest that any current EMRA Board Members who have a financial interest in a private track day company should identify this and recuse themselves of the discussion and decisions relating to future EMRA track days.

This is not a complex or combative question. It is very simple. It shouldn't be an issue for the current EMRA Board or the club. Identify the interest, recuse, proceed with the discussion. What is the problem?

Matt
780-667-3300

Matt Stokes

This comment insinuates that EMRA Directors at Large compensation is conditional and different to each other. So for example, one Director at Large is only compensated with free race fees and free track days IF the EMRA runs tack days and that Director runs them. Or another Director at Large is only compensated with free race fees and free track days IF they perform XYZ task.

Is this true? If so, it would likely be highly improper. It would align individual Director's interests with specific items the club does, rather than the overall best interests of the club as required.

If it is not true, than this comment is misleading to EMRA Members and should be clarified or withdrawn.

Shout out to Brian Worsdall for his clarifications above and for suggesting more friendship and more racing!!!

Matt
780-667-3300

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

Brian.
Yes. Newsletter. Great idea. Said it before saying it again.
Meeting minutes being available in a timely fashion for the members. Yes. Definitely a good thing. That’s not what my post was about.
Being accurate on what was said in the meeting with more detail. Yes. There was some more detail in the last mins. That’s awesome. Overall not what my post was about. the accuracy of how it’s written in regards to the whole lawsuit thing. Not exactly accurate to what was said in the meeting and does still read as ,well they decided not to sue us. When it should read more along the lines of, well. Turns out they never were involved with any potential lawsuit. The inability to acknowledge that at this point looks poor on the club.
And yes. Pals, riding, beers and laughs. All awesome things!

Matt.
Unless things have drastically changed the past 2 years. Directors are compensated equally. Typically those who’s task it is to run the track attacks rarely get the chance to take advantage of getting to ride the track attacks as well. I can probably count on one hand how many sessions. Not nights I have ridden in 3 or 4 years of running EMRA track attacks. And those probably include the times I paced the novice groups because I was short on help that particular night.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Brian.
the accuracy of how it’s written in regards to the whole lawsuit thing. Not exactly accurate to what was said in the meeting and does still read as ,well they decided not to sue us. When it should read more along the lines of, well. Turns out they never were involved with any potential lawsuit. The inability to acknowledge that at this point looks poor on the club.

I mean don’t take this the wrong way but I can’t really help how you interpreted it now. There was no reason to consult with you on the wording, a group of 15 exec members teamed up to majority agree to some wording that got the point across.
Your post is kind of like saying it’s my fault you interpreted it the wrong way. Wasn’t our intention. If there’s one thing being on the exec has taught me it’s that we can never please everyone. *shrugs* sorry dude, we’re working on it.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
This comment insinuates that EMRA Directors at Large compensation is conditional and different to each other. So for example, one Director at Large is only compensated with free race fees and free track days IF the EMRA runs tack days and that Director runs them. Or another Director at Large is only compensated with free race fees and free track days IF they perform XYZ task.

Is this true? If so, it would likely be highly improper. It would align individual Director's interests with specific items the club does, rather than the overall best interests of the club as required.

If it is not true, than this comment is misleading to EMRA Members and should be clarified or withdrawn.

Shout out to Brian Worsdall for his clarifications above and for suggesting more friendship and more racing!!!

Matt
780-667-3300

I think the point Sean may have been trying to get across was that the ‘conflict of interest’ comment is a game of pointing fingers that never ends. You can spin anything to seem like COI for one party or another. We are aware that a COI exists, and it’s okay as long as it is managed correctly. Truthfully I think the EMRA die-hard exec members who dedicate so much are definitely qualified to manage that risk. Everyone needs to have faith in us ;)

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
In advance of the upcoming AGM, can EMRA members be informed about which of the current EMRA Board Members have a financial interest in any private track day companies? A financial interest would be items such as legal or beneficial ownership, director, officer, employee or receiving any other form of remuneration. Basically, who is involved?

I would suggest that any current EMRA Board Members who have a financial interest in a private track day company should identify this and recuse themselves of the discussion and decisions relating to future EMRA track days.

This is not a complex or combative question. It is very simple. It shouldn't be an issue for the current EMRA Board or the club. Identify the interest, recuse, proceed with the discussion. What is the problem?

Matt
780-667-3300

Hi Matt,

I am just as excited as you are! Yes myself, Sean, Eric and Owen have started a track day company to support the northern Alberta motorcycle (and car) community. We were waiting to announce the exciting news publicly around Christmas to get people pumped for the upcoming season. Everyone’s so eager to ride (lol) that our surprise has definitely been spoiled but we’ll still make our announcements in the upcoming weeks. We are happy to be bringing something really awesome to the car & motorcycle community in Edmonton next year. We have some great partnerships to announce and exciting events.
Some little teasers are:
- We are going to have an awesome volunteer program where you can ride for free for helping run a day.
- Putting money back into the EMRA’s club pocket
- The best on track rider training and coaching you’ll find in Canada and I’d challenge south of the border
- Trackside suspension and bike tuning expertise
- Sponsorship and fundraiser support

Lots more to get excited about but I’m leaving it at that.

In regards to the overlap, these four exec members have such vast experience and knowledge of the club operations with racing and also running track days that it would be a mistake to disregard their input. However, naturally we have abstained from voting on decisions to avoid and manage conflicts.

Stay tuned!

DEFBOY35

I mean don’t take this the wrong way but I can’t really help how you interpreted it now. There was no reason to consult with you on the wording, a group of 15 exec members teamed up to majority agree to some wording that got the point across.
Your post is kind of like saying it’s my fault you interpreted it the wrong way. Wasn’t our intention. If there’s one thing being on the exec has taught me it’s that we can never please everyone. *shrugs* sorry dude, we’re working on it.
You’d be sorely mistaken if you think I am the only member who has the comprehension to read it as it is written.

Matt Stokes

Hi Matt,

I am just as excited as you are! Yes myself, Sean, Eric and Owen have started a track day company to support the northern Alberta motorcycle (and car) community. We were waiting to announce the exciting news publicly around Christmas to get people pumped for the upcoming season. Everyone’s so eager to ride (lol) that our surprise has definitely been spoiled but we’ll still make our announcements in the upcoming weeks. We are happy to be bringing something really awesome to the car & motorcycle community in Edmonton next year. We have some great partnerships to announce and exciting events.
Some little teasers are:
- We are going to have an awesome volunteer program where you can ride for free for helping run a day.
- Putting money back into the EMRA’s club pocket
- The best on track rider training and coaching you’ll find in Canada and I’d challenge south of the border
- Trackside suspension and bike tuning expertise
- Sponsorship and fundraiser support

Lots more to get excited about but I’m leaving it at that.

In regards to the overlap, these four exec members have such vast experience and knowledge of the club operations with racing and also running track days that it would be a mistake to disregard their input. However, naturally we have abstained from voting on decisions to avoid and manage conflicts.

Stay tuned!

Thanks Brian. Great and clear info as always from you. Appreciate that!

Agreed that EMRA Directors who have a financial interest in a track day company should abstain from voting on EMRA track day decisions. That is pretty clean cut. Difficult to say how much input those directors should have in the discussion. Zero input - probably too harsh. Input from experience about what has been best for the club in the past - probably ok. People know when they are conflicted. Many'a politician wishes they had listened to that little voice.

Keep up the great work. We know how much time you guys put into this sport.

Matt

DEFBOY35

The conflict of interest is huge. And the last exec meeting has proven that it is going to be an issue. Not only should all parties involved in the outside interests of both the track day provider as well as the stratotech management abstain from voting on any motions regarding the club and track days or equipment rental contracts etc. that last meeting shown very well that they should not be a part of the discussion either. Although I do agree that there is experience there that would be going to waste. It’s comments such as “ we will not rent any weekend dates outside of race weekends to the Emra in order to run track days. As it would dilute the market”. Anybody who was part of the previous exec meeting could attest to that.
That one single statement shows that this level of conflict is detrimental to the club and that it is not the best interests of the club that are being held.