Radio Announcement for Sessions/Races

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I know in the past we have used a radio broadcast to help let racers know which session or race is coming up. I also know the consistency has not been the best.

I'm just curious to know if this is something we are still going to use, or if we're moving away from it in favor of newer technologies.

Mostly I'm wondering if I should pick up a radio. I've been caught by surprise a couple times and had to rush to make a practice session.

M87

There is an app called whichcall that several race organizations use. Basically it allows you to look at your phone and see which group is on track and how much time they have left. We experimented with it last year but it requires human intervention, someone has to tell it when each group goes out, and it was impossible to find someone who had the time to update it. (They are pretty busy to start)
It is still available (free, I have the password) and might be worthwhile but until someone in scoring finds the time to do the input I believe we will be using the radio as our main communication.

Goatse

AFAIK there were no issues with "consistency" during the 2016 race season with the FM transmitter. The year(s) before we were trying to make work an archaic system that was spotty at times, but like last season, we are on an all new setup so there should be no issues with the FM signal for 2017. *knock on wood*

Last edited:

M87

Buy a big one. You'll be next to 120db dragsters and 20 or semi-muffled generators.
:eek:

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I'm looking at getting one of these:
https://www.lowes.ca/jobsite-radios/dewalt-water-resistant-cordless-jobsite-radio_g2224490.html

885911312028.jpg

Should I go bigger?

Goatse

It really just comes down to timing. The people on the radios/FM usually try not to speak on the radio while loud cars are doing a run down the drag strip. So you shouldn't need anything ultra loud (and expensive). Sure the cars are crazy loud, and they'll definitely drown out Stu while he's announcing a race, but you should be able to hear the race/session announcements over the PA or FM.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Thinking I'm going to pickup a small earbud radio for the loud days. It also depends on how cheap and stupid loud your neighbours generators are, which was my case this weekend.