Buyer Beware

Tattoo

Just giving everyone a heads up about buying a trailer. Bought trailer 4 weeks ago a 14x7 enclosed trailer. Ran serial number through registries, came back clear. So I purchased it. Next day I registered the trailer all good. 3 weeks later rcmp come to my door to look at the trailer, when I'm not home and look it over. Next door neighbor tells me so we call the local Rcmp office to find out whats going on. They tell me its possible that the trailer is stolen.

Give the Officer the names, personal id, phone numbers, address and even license plate numbers of all vehicles there. Don't hear anything more for a week so go down to rcmp detachment, give all info so they can photo copy everything. Find out that looks like they are going to come take trailer this Friday, and no I'm not a suspect lol. They tell me im out the money and the trailer. Ask how it came up clean on Registries, they couldn't answer. They tell me I did everything right but am gonna lose it.

So off to Registries office to find out what going on. They say its clean. So now I'm really confused. Go to the city and stop off at ama where I used to work. They run number it comes back clean. There confused then they run it through Edmonton Police and it flags. AH ha comes up as possibly stolen. I'm how can something be possibly stolen. Heres what we figure happened.

Someone claimed the trailer missing from edmonton in Aug. They don't run it through insurance so it will not come up through registries cause no money or payout has been givin out. So odds are it wasn't registered or insured. So the number is in a police report, and thats how they showed up on my doorstep. Now I'm out my money and theres nothing I can do.

So when you are buying something Registries is only running that number through there system not Police system. So if you don't want to get burned like me for your piece of mind its up to you to run the number through the police too. I had no idea that if you run something through registries that it could still be stolen. I learned this the hard way and don't want anyone else to be out there purchase.

yak

That really sucks.

Can anyone explain why police and registry records for stolen vehicles wouldn't be integrated nationally (or internationally)?

Tattoo

That really sucks.

Can anyone explain why police and registry records for stolen vehicles wouldn't be integrated nationally (or internationally)?

From what I understand from ama, registries can only run whats in there system. So they can only look one way, where as the police system looks at theres and registries. So you must ask to have it run through both systems which is not the norm. Most people only get registries run which is what I did.

Tattoo

Will find out more Friday when they come for the trailer. I don't know where its going just not going to insurance so my guess is going to whom reported it in Aug. If its legit there trailer then I'm fine with that, lighter in the wallet but its the right thing. If its going to people that have a scam going then I'm not happy with that lol.

macbayne

that is horrible. you did so much to try and avoid this situation, yet it still came up. what i really want to know is how the hell the police stumbled upon the trailer, given the fact that it most likely was not registered or insured. sounds like a really crappy situation.

Tattoo

that is horrible. you did so much to try and avoid this situation, yet it still came up. what i really want to know is how the hell the police stumbled upon the trailer, given the fact that it most likely was not registered or insured. sounds like a really crappy situation.

The police came up with it from me registering it. There system runs both theirs and the registries. Since I got it plated they had all my info and was a easy find for them. Just came and looked in my driveway lol. The registry system in place has a big flaw, and I just want people to know to check out any thing with both police and registries. This way your safe.

fask

So the police are watching to see who registers vehicles so they can go confiscate the stolen property from the honest person whom just purchased it? Pretty sad system if you ask me. Sorry to hear about your situation fella... I'm actually pretty chaffed to hear about this. Pathetic, so pathetic.
Can a guy get a lawyer and go after the city for misconduct? Just seems like you were led astray by getting the go ahead from the registries.

tcasey87

Here is the website if you wanna check numbers for your own protection.

www.cpic-cipc.ca

That is a great link. Thx for posting.

As always, buyers must beware. You have provided good information about the extra steps that people should take to cover all the bases.

A license plate is not certification of ownership. When Motor Vehicles issues a plate, they are saying "this person has a license to have this vehicle on the road".

Personal Property Registry is where people who have an interest in property can file notice of their claim. Borrow money from a bank, and they file a notice at personal property registry. But if the vehicle was brought in from another province, then your search of Alberta PPR won't show liens from other provinces or countries, ie. US

Searching the police database is a "must do" for buyers to protect themselves from buying stolen property.