New to EMRA + Race School Questions

emiliopeev

Hey Guys, i'm new to your forum and will be attending the Race School and potentially a few track days so I look forward to meeting all of you in person. Ill give you guys a little background on me. My name is Emil Peev and I am the president of the Saskatchewan Mini Road Racing Association. I've been riding for only 4 years on street and have been involved with the mini scene for 2 years now. I consider myself an average rider and i still have much to learn about road racing, so I look forward to learning a bit from the school even though I know there will be lots of overlap from the mini racing. I only have one on-board vid of me its from late last fall on our mini track. Heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYaP3b_rpAg. Yep i've been rubbing that pass in Bodhi's face quite a bit lol. :D

Anyways on to my questions. This will be my first time on a track with my 03 600rr. I have Sport Attacks on the bike right now with decent life left on the sides (I live in Saskatoon we only have a few good sweeping corners that are filled with imperfections). Judging my skill level from what you see in the video should i bother to buy some power ones? Is the difference that great in the amount of grip that for my sake and the street bike's i should invest in race tires?

Secondly, I heard from others that school is lots of stop and go with feedback and instruction track-side every few corners. Do we get the opportunity to just do laps at some point during the school?

and lastly should i bother bringing my Honda rs 85 out with some taller gearing? I missed the Stratotech mini round 2 years ago and it got canceled last year. If i do bring it will i get a chance to do some laps on the bike or is it just not its place among the bigger bikes? Ill probably bring it in case i manage to throw myself off the street bike.

YZF1000jon

Because of the starts and stops race tires don't stay hot, street tires are better, and stick with the bike you'd like to race. Don't plan on throwing yourself off the cbr, as with most race schools, crashing generally means a fail in the school. Welcome to the club!!