Rider from MB interested in coming to AB

roju6

Hi everyone, my name is Brian, I've been a member of this board for a few months checking things out as I am considering moving to AB.
Bit of background, currently I race with the Manitoba Roadracing Association (MRA) in Gimli, started out on a '99 SV650 doing trackdays, moved up to racing in Cdn Thunder, and last year got sponsored and given a Ninja 636 to try out. Liked the 600 class and bought a GSX-R600 to race which I currently have.
I am really interested in coming to AB and trying out a different track however and was wondering how the crossover would work from here to there?
I have my CMA license but here we only run novice/expert classes (no intermediate), if anyone could give me some info it would be great.
Looking forward to possibly coming out this summer and checking out the new facility you have there, thanks!

yak

Hi Brian

I would like to extend a warm welcome to you.

I can't give you a complete answer regarding your race classification at this time since a bit more information would be needed, but it is clear that you would be coming in at the Intermediate or higher level in our club.

If you can email Ian or I your 2013 race results including laptimes that would be helpful. In particular what we would be looking at is how those laptime compare to the expert results at Gimli.

Regarding licensing we recognise your MRA license. We have changed our licensing this year in terms of fees, so I`m going to check on how that applies to visitors and get back to you.

Please have a look at our rule book in terms of bike prepartion and gear requirements. We aim to make racing accessible for visitors, but there are a few key requirements like helmet standards, the use of a back protector, front brake lever protector, etc.

We also have a medical data tag carrier requirement, but we sell these at the track for $5. Our timing system uses RFID tags and these are also sold for a nominal charge at the track. It is recommended to pregregister for the races and once your racer classification is sorted out you can request an account setup on our registration system.

Best regards,

Todd

roju6

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply. I did get a PM from another member as well but appreciate the responses from you guys.

Sounds like the same thing Ernie said, that I would likely be in the intermediate class. In MRA we only run novice and expert, and to move to expert you have to win the novice championship so only have that opportunity once a year regardless. Nonetheless, figured after a race or two it would become fairly clear where I stood relative to all the regulars.

I will find all of my times from 2013 (first year on the 600 bike) and you will see how they compare to other novices as well as the experts. I am fully set up for race prep according to our specs so I think that should be the same, other than we don't have a requirement for front brake levers? Will read through the rule book to see if there are any other differences from EMRA to MRA though.

You said your timing system uses RFID, is this the same as the AMB Mylapstransponders? I have one of those myself which is what we use here, maybe you are talking something else though?

Appreciate the info, will get those times to you as soon as I can track them all down, looking forward to getting things sorted out and coming out that way for a weekend though.

Brian

yak

Hi Brian

The front brake lever protector item is the small guard you see in some race series that means if your handlebar contacts a competitor your front brake isn`t applied accidently. Here is a link to one form of this device: http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin...&category=LVGA

Our RFID system is different than the AMB transponder system. The RFID tags are passive radio frequency stickers that are queried by the antennas at the side of the track. We sell a pair of them for $5. Check out the suppliers website if you like. (https://trackintel.com/ti/titan/index.html?id=u4QCJ7mQ)

Talk to you soon,

Todd

roju6

Yeah some guys here run the guards as well, would have been handy for the guy that ran into me last fall and locked his front wheel up when his brake lever hit my elbow haha...

At least your timing devices are cheap, the AMB transponders all carry a fairly hefty pricetag. I just finished getting all my times together, will put them all in one pdf and send them in an email.