2024 Rule change discussion

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Ok, it's that time of year! We all put our heads together and think of ways to make the racing in this club even better for everyone by proposing and discussing rule changes. The proposals here will be brought to the AGM Dec. 9th, discussed again and voted on there.

A few important notes and suggestions for this thread:
- PLEASE keep all the proposals and comments positive and constructive.
- Please make sure your proposals are informed. Ask yourself, do we have this rule already? How can it be implemented?
- Please make sure your proposals are clear. Use all your words, use specific and quantifiable examples whenever possible.
- Please avoid making rule changes that only benefit you, or take away all your nearest competition.
- The EMRA has been around for over 20 years now, built on fair exciting racing. The rules have evolved over the years and most successful new rule changes are more evolution of existing rules than revolution of totally new ones.

I think we have a great club. I can't wait to see what members have in mind.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I'll go first, we had a couple of incidence that brought more to light the importance of helmet safety and proper fit. I'd like to give the rule book a little more clarity and bite on this topic.

4.1.118 Currently says 'Technical inspection may disqualify a helmet damaged during a crash'.

Proposed change: Chief Technical Inspector may disqualify a helmet deemed to not fit properly at any time, and may disqualify a helmet damaged during a crash.

New rule
4.2.127 All rider apparel (boots, gloves, helmet, suit, back protector) must be worn, correctly fastened, at all times during on-track activity. Failure to do so may result in disqualification from race.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
1. I'd like to propose that if an exec member does not redeem their race fees in that calendar year, that they are given "credits" so to say which can be used within 2 years of the year of their participation on the exec team, and are transferrable.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
1. I'd like to propose that if an exec member does not redeem their race fees in that calendar year, that they are given "credits" so to say which can be used within 2 years of the year of their participation on the exec team, and are transferrable.
That's more of a bylaws/policy procedure change than a change in the race rules. But yeah can be discussed at the AGM.

Corinne

I like this. The only thing I would like to add is, the 'transferrable to...' is kept within the household or immediate relative, of the exec member.

Fabian Hryniewicz

We did this already, it hurt ridership and didn't meaningfully alter the podium standings. I see precisely zero reason to do this again.

When we did the the grid was still pretty full and also made the top pack closer in times and made better racing in my opinion for the older fellas. Keep the top young racers in the top tier classes and let the old guys battle it out.

Last edited:

Logan

1 - Remove all waved starts from all split grid races. There is no benefit to having a waved start on any race.

2 - Combine LW and Twins / LWSB and MSB grids based on times. Score race separates let the faster guys of both classes be up front. Again all starting at the same time.

***Not a rule change, but has there ever been discussion or though on running Stratotech or Rad Torque in reverse to spice things up?***

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I propose to eliminate the Middleweight SBK class, and change Lightweight SBK to the following:
· Open to all intermediate and expert racers
· 3 or more cylinder motorcycles up to 420cc
· 2-cylinder motorcycles up to 699cc
· Single-cylinder motorcycles of unlimited displacement
· Gridding will be determined by lap times (as recorded by the EMRA timing system). The
fastest lap will be gridded first and so on.
· If there is no practice day, gridding will be by points collected in Lightweight Superbike
throughout the year.
· Motorcycles must comply with 5.4 Technical Specifications - Superbike
This would be a change back to the 2022 format for the race.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
***Not a rule change, but has there ever been discussion or though on running Stratotech or Rad Torque in reverse to spice things up?***
This gets brought up just about every year, usually in casual discussion as we're doing air fence. It's easy to point out the pitfalls of this suggestion when physically on the track, but I'll do my best to explain it here.

Both tracks have specific corners that would greatly increase the risk of serious injury from a crash when run in reverse.

RAD Torque:
Turn 5 is a very fast corner, and a low-side would have you sliding right into the wall there. I think it would be worse than turn 1 before we moved the wall.
Turn 2 would be a very hard braking zone into a tight corner. Crashes would have people running off into the wall in front of the stands, or low siding towards the corner station into track entrance.

Stratotech:
Turn 9 would become a heavy braking zone, and someone running straight off (think corner 2) would run straight onto the track between turn 7 and 8 for a potential T-bone collision.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I am proposing to change rule 99

Existing rule:
99. In the case of no restart, any rider(s) deemed responsible by the Race Director for the race-ending incident is placed in the results, at the end of their respective laps, using the method described previously for re-gridding.

Proposed new rule:
99. In the case of no restart, any rider(s) deemed responsible by the Race Director for the race-ending incident is considered to have not finished the race, and shall receive a DNF in the final results.

The reason I am suggesting this change is because the current rule would award more points to a rider who crashes and causes a red flag, than to a rider who was lapped, but did not crash.

Here is an example to illustrate my point:
Steven and Brian are both in the Senior Open. Brian is having a good race and is leading, he laps Steven in lap 8 of 10; Steven is in position 11 and the last racer to get lapped up to this point. After crossing the finish line, Brian crashes on his 9th lap, and the crash causes a red flag. Brian's bike is damaged in the crash, and he would not be able to rejoin or restart the race.

Under the current rule, Brian would be awarded 10th place points, while Steven would get 11th place points and every other lapped rider would also get lower points than Brian.
If the race was not red flagged, and able to complete the scheduled 10 laps, then Steven (and likely most other lapped riders) would pass Brian who is now stationary on the side of the track, and Steven would get 10th place points.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I am proposing to change rule 149

Existing rule:
149. Sportbike racing class machines must be standard models as catalogued by the original equipment
manufacturers and sold to the general public in Canada or U.S.A. for street use and available from all of
their authorized dealers.

Proposed new rule:
149. Sportbike racing class machines must be standard models as catalogued by the original equipment
manufacturers and sold to the general public in Canada or U.S.A. for street use and available from all of
their authorized dealers. Electric bikes are exempt from this requirement.

With the extended time required to recharge an electric bike (approximately 1.5 hours), trying to find viable race classes can be difficult. This is true in any club, and clubs in the US have been flexible about which races they allow electric bikes to enter. By exempting electric bikes from this requirement, it allows them to enter the Open Sportbike races right after lunch. This is still an open class, so racing against 1000cc bikes avoids any potential unfair advantage for electric bikes. Electric bikes still would not be eligible for the 600 Supersport race, as the rules spell out cylinder and cc requirements which an electric bike can not meet.

My personal experience is I am currently racing my electric bike in Senior Open (first race of the day) and then F112, and I barely have enough time to charge my bike between those races. If I DQ out of F112, I won't be able to race F108 because of the schedule, and I would like to enter Intermediate Open Sportbike, giving me lots of time to charge the bike, and still have lots of time to charge for Intermediate SBK at the end of the day.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
1 - Remove all waved starts from all split grid races. There is no benefit to having a waved start on any race.

2 - Combine LW and Twins / LWSB and MSB grids based on times. Score race separates let the faster guys of both classes be up front. Again all starting at the same time.

Having run Strato in reverse in a car I can attest that it creates a slew of new safety hazards. My passengers that day 100% agreed. Lol

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I propose to eliminate the Middleweight SBK class, and change Lightweight SBK to the following:

This would be a change back to the 2022 format for the race.
2 cylinder 699cc bikes ARE NOT LIGHTWEIGHTS. This proposal would move our Lightweight SBK class further away from AMRA, CSBK and WMRC Lightweight rules and definitley damage any forward progress the WCC has made the last couple years towards class unification and sturcture between clubs. Also, seems like a selfish move, you just want to race your FZ7 against R3s and Ninja 300s.

Logan

I also propose we change our numbering scheme within the club to align with the majority of the major race associations across Canada and the US.

Experts Black on White Background
Novice and Intermediate Black on Yellow Background.

This would align us with other clubs and make travel and racing with other organizations easier for our local members.

Logan

This gets brought up just about every year, usually in casual discussion as we're doing air fence. It's easy to point out the pitfalls of this suggestion when physically on the track, but I'll do my best to explain it here.

Both tracks have specific corners that would greatly increase the risk of serious injury from a crash when run in reverse.

RAD Torque:
Turn 5 is a very fast corner, and a low-side would have you sliding right into the wall there. I think it would be worse than turn 1 before we moved the wall.
Turn 2 would be a very hard braking zone into a tight corner. Crashes would have people running off into the wall in front of the stands, or low siding towards the corner station into track entrance.

Stratotech:
Turn 9 would become a heavy braking zone, and someone running straight off (think corner 2) would run straight onto the track between turn 7 and 8 for a potential T-bone collision.
I think all of these concerns could be mitigated with Air Fence and Hay Bails.
This would just add another element to our local racing.

I mean I know this was preposed before but I would also like to see the bus stop removed at RT so we could really catch some speed through turn 3 as well ;)

DSmith

I also propose we change our numbering scheme within the club to align with the majority of the major race associations across Canada and the US.

Experts Black on White Background
Novice and Intermediate Black on Yellow Background.

This would align us with other clubs and make travel and racing with other organizations easier for our local members.
The current black/red system is aligned with CSBK and more or less every roadracing organization in Canada except for WMRC (which chooses to prioritize compatibility with Washington/Oregon), so this is probably not the ideal time to change it.

Parker08

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Propose to add the Endurance Race Rules into the Rule Book.
The text below is taken from the 2023 Endurance Race Forum Post--
I propose these rules be added, with minor modifications/formatting/wordsmithing at the discretion of the 2024 EMRA Executive.

General Rules
It is not possible to anticipate every circumstance and cover it in this rule section; therefore, common sense and a regard for fairness are the fundamental principles in interpretation and enforcement of the rules by EMRA Officials. This information is provided as guidance to competitors, but does not restrict the EMRA from imposing penalties for other actions detrimental to the sport, that is not specifically mentioned herein. Unless otherwise specifically provided for in these rules, the EMRA may impose penalties to any rider or crew.

· Registrants must indicate team format during registration process.
· Each team regardless of format will require at least 2 racers.
· Each team is allowed 1 crew member – who must be preregistered in advance.
· At any time, only registered racers and their team’s one pit crew member are allowed in the hot pits.
· Le Mans style start, positions on the grid will be based on qualifying times from the practice session.
· Any prize payouts will be distributed to the top 3 teams based on lap count and if needed time. 60/30/10% split.
· Intermediate and Expert mixed teams are accepted.

· Pit Lane Marshals will be on duty to enforce rules. Endurance pit stop rules are enforceable by Pit Marshals and violations must be observed by Pit Marshals; pit stop violations cannot be protested by riders or teams. Penalties will be determined by the race director.

· Bikes entering and exiting the hot pits must come to a complete stop at the entry and exit cone and/or lines clearly marked in hot pits
· Hot pits speed limit is 30km/h and will be strictly enforced. Violations will incur a 5-lap penalty.

· Crew member and racers participants will be allowed to go to the main paddock area during the race.
· A race bike must be able to pass technical inspection at any time during the race.

· At no point in time can anyone who is not a part of the registered team of racers and 1 single crew member can be in the hot pits. Infraction will incur a 5-lap penalty.

· Fire extinguisher must be visible in the hot pits at all times. Failure to produce one upon request will result in immediate disqualification.

· Tire changes and refueling must be done in the hot pits during a pit stop.
· A designated tech referee must be in place when your team is performing a pit stop. Each team will be allocated a tech referee.
· Refueling must be done by ONE crew member while a second crew member holds a fire extinguisher ready.
· Refueling must be done ONLY in the teams hot pit area. Refueling outside of your hot pit area will incur a 5-lap penalty.
· No one else can be touching the motorcycle during refueling process and no rider on the motorcycle. Engine must be OFF. Violation of this incurs a 5-lap penalty.

· After tire changes the motorcycle must meet tech requirements and be approved by a tech inspector (safety wire must be replaced). Violation of this incurs a 5-lap penalty.
· Tire change work can be performed by anyone on the team.

· Spare Parts Bikes are NOT allowed in the hot pit area.

· The entire Hot Pit Lane is a NO SMOKING, NO ALCOHOL AREA.

· Until the race has finished, the registered participants and crew members are under a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol and/or cannabis products.

· Right of way during pit stops is to the rider entering the pits from the track. A racer leaving their assigned pit area must yield to incoming riders. A racer leaving the pits must yield to racers on the track. Riders entering and exiting the pits must do so at a REASONABLE and SAFE speed. Failure to heed this rule is grounds for disqualification.

· Bike substitutions are NOT allowed, you must finish the race with the same registered bike(s) you started on.

· Race ends and is at the designated end time + 1 lap then the checkered flag is waved.
· The winning team is whoever completed the most amount of laps.

Motorcycle specifications:
· Superbike rules apply - Unlimited modifications
· Open to any motorcycle type
· Tires – DOT or slicks
· Riding gear and Tech requirements are the same as for regular EMRA races.
· Transponders must be securely mounted on whichever motorcycle is on the track at the time

Endurance Race Formats:
· Team Endurance – 1 Motorcycle shared by 2-4 racers. Tire changes and refueling must be done during the race, in the hot pits.
· Team Relay – Between 2-4 motorcycles shared by 2-4 racers, tire changes and refueling must be done in the paddock while a teammate is racing. Transponder needs to be switched during motorcycle changes.
· Lightweight Relay (Optional) – Same rules as Relay style but no time penalty for teams consisting entirely of “lightweight” class motorcycles. Lightweight relay must involve only motorcycles that qualify for Lightweight Superbike rules (i.e.: no mixing LWs with 600/1000cc entrants).

Team Relay Format-Specific Rules
· Minimum 2 racers per team.
· 15 Minute time penalty to leverage tire change delays which this team gets to avoid by changing their tires and refueling in the pits while their teammate is on track.
· Each team can choose when during the race they will take the 15-minute time penalty.
· Time penalty must be served within the 4 hours of the race or your team will be disqualified.
· Time penalty must be served under green flag conditions.
· Each team member can ride multiple times during the race on any given machine.
· Transponder MUST be switched from relay teammate to relay teammate during pit stops or you will lose record of those laps.

Starting procedure
Starting grid will be marked for riders and bikes on side of track.
Riders will start from far side of track; bikes will be positioned on side of track nearest hot pit wall
Only bike stands, tire warmers, extension cords, one crew member and one rider will be on start grid.
Start light procedure is same as normal

· Flag procedures
All Flag procedures will remain the same as outlined for Sprint races except the red flag. If a red flag is shown riders must stop at the next corner station and wait for instructions, if they are directed to go to the hot pit then they should proceed to their pit cautiously, no work or repairs are allowed on a motorcycle under red flag, you may put tire warmers on. Refueling, rider changes, tire changes, and any general work will not be allowed under red flag unless specific permission to do so is granted by race control

Crashing Rules:
· A crash is defined as the motorcycle hitting the ground either pavement, grass or gravel. If the handlebars go down and the bodywork touches the ground it is considered a crash.
· Crashed machines must undergo technical inspection prior to continuing in the event, even if the motorcycle is picked up and can be ridden back to the pits. A rideable crashed motorcycle must be brought into the hot pit to be reteched immediately, failure to do so will result in a 5 lap penalty and all laps from the time of the crash to the time the bike is teched will be lost.
· If a rider must push a motorcycle back to the hot pits, the rider will stay off the race track and race line as much as possible, direction from corner workers and race control must be followed at all times
· No crew members are allowed to assist the rider in pushing until the rider enters the hot pits entry cone and/or line clearly marked in hot pits.
· Failure to pass technical inspection may result in lost laps, and/or disqualification from the race.

· If a Team does not bring a crashed machine to the Technical Inspector before continuing in the race, the Team will lose all laps subsequent to the crash until the machine is re-inspected and may be disqualified, at the sole discretion of the officials.